Hedley Nicol Trimaran Plans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

writeup on the Wanderer "Tropic Bird"

The November 1966 Edition of the Trimaran Association Yacht Club of Victoria has a writeup by D Perno. on his (then) newly delivered Hedley Nicol Wanderer and their first cruise onboard.

Attached Files:

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Cheers to you Corely what a great find and contribution to the thread. I can't believe they averaged 5 knots with that prop. Not surprised about the leeway , Wanderers then had the shallowest fins/keels. I think I have seen ads for a Wanderer called Tropic Bird so that boat is most likely still going. We sure like the Vagabond, the Nicols feel like they have something special going for them. One of the big Voyagers in Hawaii put a Max prop on and they couldn't believe the difference. Even the fins worked better.

3. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

Greetings from comet on unbound. Seen a reference to my beloved boat here. thought I'd say ahoy's. Currently learning how to fix the beautiful old girl up and go adventuring on her c: thank you for all the great info here! Look forward to hanging out c:

4. cavalier mk2

Cheers uNbound. What boat do you have? Always good to have another Nicol owner online. There is considerable practice here with just about everything if you want to bounce ideas around. Lots of help there in OZ too.

5. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

Thx for the warm welcome c:
    This is a post extract below remarking on unbound my beloved c:
    Vagabond mk1

Original post by #66 page 5
    catsketcher

"Interestingly I met another Nicol owner who sailed around the world on his Nicol in the late 60s early 70s - John Murray. The tri was Unbound. Still is moored at Dangar Island in Sydney. He told me that Unbound was a Vagabond Mk1 (he built her too)."

6. cavalier mk2

I think we figured it as a Wanderer, the cruising version of Vagabond MK1 as Alan Nicol told me the Vagabond 1 plans weren't released only Hedley's was built. It was later lost on Breaksea Spit in a really odd misguided delivery attempt in bad weather. In any case one of the Wanderer owners could compare notes with you.

So how is Unbound doing these days? Triwanderer's recent re launch from the old Nicol yard, now owned by Shawn Arbor I think, would make him the man on the scene if he hasn't sailed far away with your summer weather.

7. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

Hi thanks for the info. I wonder why john would call unbound a vagabond mk1 then, just a wondering, he built her so you'd think he'd know, shrug, no matter tho. I did find a news paper clipping from the age. It was Unbound caught on a reef in north papa, sinking, dated 4 july 1969. ( my mothers birthday, the year i was born ) It said there to, a wanderer class tri. I'm no expert so i'll take your word for it.

Edit sorry early, re read this and see what your saying, thank you.

Unbounds getting some love on dry dock. I've been through some hellish life cycles which slowed progress. But back on the sander now and learning fast. I'm deeply in love with her and am trying my very best. Me and my little dog riddles stay on her most nights, endless things to do and learn and I'm ignoring the rest of my life for her. I would love to see this beautiful old boat live another 50yrs c: I haven't sailed her yet. I'm under the understanding I'm the third owner. She's not in the greatest of states, but the hulls appear solid so that has to be good c: thank you again for your warm welcome, feel at home already. Look forward to sharing times with you all.
    cheers comet

8. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

9. cavalier mk2

I'll have to get enough money to buy one so I can winter in OZ. We've been out sailing in some wet cold breezes this winter.

Essentially the Wanderer is a Vagabond MK1 with heavier scantlings on the frames, deck etc...for cruising durability. The hull and float fins may be shallower too, Alan Nicol could let you know. The family still has transparencies for the Wanderer plans. Is it a short float boat or a long float version? Vagabond 1 and the first Wanderers had short floats but they were lengthened when Vagabond MK2 proved out. The long ones let you carry a little more load and press harder under sail but I've seen well sorted out short float versions, the boat in the thread "Hawk" comes to mind.

If she is solid the rest is gravy anyway and its more of a fit out. Keep it light and the windage low if sailing is the priority. Alan Nicol has some sheeting advice for stock Wanderers that helps. I was able to motor into a 30 knot wind with my Yamaha 9.9 big prop OB the other day so lots of power isn't needed.
    Don't ignore the rest of your life, just the parts that slow you down from finishing up and going sailing!

Cheers

10. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

Sorry tried to re-read this awesome thread to understand how to tell short or long float, but alas none the wiser.

Oh what i'd give for some cooler weather, its a hard slog in this heat, even my ac cant keep up :c

A lot of people are advising me to keep her light, so will do ty!
    I recently was given some beautiful old hard wood timber to use
    as a new floor. Was the floor of the concert hall here in Brisbane.
    I worked there as sound engineer when this wood was a floor
    so has some sentimental connection. Sadly I think it may be to heavy.

Had no luck doing a search for the thread on "Hawk" unfortunately.

Sound advice! are parts of life that need feeding love also, such as me. So I'm off to see the Hobbit tonight. And then a week stay in our recording studio for some r&r away from unbound. Wonder will i last the week out before she draws me back c: ty

11. cavalier mk2

Here it is again or its address. Post #103 on this thread.

Your floor should be 3/8 ply but a veneer would be fine on top.

12. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Comet

Did you buy Unbound from John Murray or from someone else? I first saw her in 1983 when I sailed my Nugget to Dangar Island. She was a great Nicol and in good shape. IIRC John used epoxy on her so she should last well. I got to see a slideshow of his circumnavigation. Although he wasn't the first Australian tri skipper to circumnavigate (Jeff Montague was) he would have been a pioneer.

John was a funny guy. I later turned up to Dangar on my Twiggy - I was very proud of her and in love with the boat. John said I had done a good job buying a Twiggy as "They are seaworthy but still cheap as they are ugly." I let it go as he had knew heaps more than I did. He said the Twiggy reminded him of Bandersnatch.

Have fun with Unbound.

cheers

Phil

13. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

Hi catsketcher
    What a lovely tale thank you.
    No I bought unbound from the second owner who only had her a short time.
    They never really loved her and it shows. But its ok I have her now and she's
    loved well. I'm the third owner I think.
    I would love to see those slides, i day dream for many hours about her adventures
    as i hang on to the end of a sander c:
    Considering her age, she in great shape c:
    I had a brief talk to a guy who sailed a lot on her with John.
    Lovely chap shared lots of tales, and show me a photo of them lost in
    the middle of the Atlantic in 1974.
    For me the history is such a amazing thing, all the smiles and tears, adventures abound.
    I'll put all I can together of her tale for the next owner.
    Twiggy's look fast c:
    Phil thank you for taking the time say hello and tell a tale!

This is the day I met her and fell in love c:
    [​IMG]

14. cavalier mk2

Wanderer with the original shorter float length like the pdf of Hawk back on post 103. The longer ones go past the back edge of the wing a ways. The cabin is set up like a MK2 Vagabond. Most of the Wanderers had them on one level Looks like a good project.

15. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Comet

I heard that John moved to Berowra. If you look up the White Pages you can find a J Murray who lives at Berowra heights. Give them a ring. John had the boat for a heap of time and I think would like that you are keen on doing the best for her.

You may be able to get a view of the slide show too!

I can't help but say - SEE CAV - I told you there was another Vagabond Mk 1. John was there at the beginning and bought his plans from Hedley so he would know. I was thinking I was going mad somewhere.

cheers

Phil

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.