heavy smoking cummins

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by bertho, Sep 6, 2006.

1. bertho

bertho bertho

is some expert cummins engine around the table,
    a friend of me have a 660 hp cummins engine turbo aftercooler 1800 rpm, with keel cooling system, engine run well only thing is when they load the engine( at departure ), it's smoking ( white ) smoke for the first 5/10 mn, for my point of view, it's ok untill the engine reach the right temp, but i will feel more confortable to have expert advise... or it's something to check ? thermostatic valve ? :confused:
    thanks

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

White smoke is normal for a cool engine, if it goes away when the coolant is over 140 or so ,all is fine.

Keel cooling frequently has much more cooling water volume than a heat exchanger cooled engine , so takes a bit longer to get to operating temp.

We prefer ro run a light load till up to 140F then go to the bottom of the useable rpm range (1200 to 1500 depending on engine mfg) and not go to service power till at 180F or normal cruise coolant temp..

Only a couple of extra min per trip to assure longest engine service life.

FAST FRED

3. bertho

bertho bertho

than a lot fast fred !
    will keep my friend informed, it's can't be a problem from the thermostatic valve? to regulate coolant flow before engine reach good temp?
    rgds

4. costasgr

costasgr Junior Member

Smoke

while you are in norm operating temp, if you stop and then accelerate will it smoke?

5. bertho

bertho bertho

costasgr,
    i'm in 12.400 km from this engine right now,!!, i will check as soon as i comeback close, why doctor? :?:

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The thermostats are working properly , most have a bypass that lets some water by , even when closed, that is alowing the rest of the cooling system to warm up.

This is GOOD as when the thermostats start to regulate the cooling water will only be 20 or 30 deg below the engine operating temp.This prevents thermal shock and is designed that way.

FAST FRED

7. bertho

bertho bertho

Ok doc ! this white smoke is specific to some ''cold'' engine ? i have a old 6.354 perkins on my boat, and never see any white smoke, it's off course a much more small block than this cummins! and whitout keel cooling system..
    thanks

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Have you changed filters, are you sure you have no water in the fuel. Do you use a fuel addative? Is this deisel or bio diesel. Are you using pure diesel or are you putting in waste oils into the tank.

9. bertho

bertho bertho

Jack,

it's pure diesel, all filter have been check, no additive, engine is cummins QSK 19 M , cubic cap 19 liters, heavy duty,
    i don't think it's a big problem because after 10 mn loaded, it's OK, as said fast fred its still fto cold specialy with the keel cooling, but very impressive white smoke before! a huge fog! , even if we run the engine for 30mn++ before....i will have greenpeace on my back!
    dirty smoker !

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Has it just started doing this, or has it always done this? Where in Thailand are you?

11. bertho

bertho bertho

jack,
    engine was doing also before, perhaps less ??, we just change exhaust system from dry to wet system, back pressure is OK...i'm don't see relation between
    but as evertthing are ok when engine reach temp, i'm not so scarry.. the boat is in phuket now, ( i'm in africa for the moment..)
    rgds

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

even if we run the engine for 30mn++ before

This is very poor practice , and perhaps part of your problem. Diesels are so efficent that even with thermostats they will not warm up well without a good load.

Best practice is to start and get under way as rapidly as you can , and warm the engine under moderate loads.

Ideling is the worst form of underloading , which is DEATH to modern diesels.

The wear on the cylinders and oil contamination from blow by past the rings is huge.

Remember the rings seal by combustion pressure from BEHIND the ring , at idle or low loads the sealing is very poor.

FAST FRED

13. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

Maybe it would help if you installed a block heater/warmer. Many diesels around my neck of the woods use them for winter time starting. Different styles, but you might be able to keep the block a little warmer prior to starting. As I understand the problem here, its that the lower initial temps don't supply enough heat to fully combust the diesel ( I think we used to call this "energy of activation" back in the days of studying chemistry ).

Interesting point about thermostat shunting, Fred, I didn't know that. Sounds like a "keel warmer" prior to firing up the engines might also work if that is the problem. You think something like this will help him?

I have also read that the best thing is to fire up the engines and go, as FF already said.

Mike

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Fire up and go-- isnt possible. Start engines check for correct water flow, remove shore power, fire up invertor, start fridges, and lap top for Cmap, go up to bridge, release lines , back out, slowly manouvre out of marina, stop boat, come down from bridge , untie fenders, coil up lines and stow -or atleast get them off deck ,,THEN go.

Anchoring is even worse, by the time ive got the chain washed off it will be 30 minutes if its muddy.

But I still agree with you!

15. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

white smoke means it is sucking air ,probaly from the injectors, or an intake manifold.longliner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.