Health effects of Epoxy

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by nickvonw, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Hägar

Hägar Previous Member

...moving far on would probably help?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hey Horrible not your business, your 2 weeks too late. Duh!

3. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Now my friends I have experience from epoxy hardener and resins effect.
    As I am one of the stupid kind and not very careful i did recognise small red spots on top of my hands and they also a bit itchy.
    Mr radcliffes suggestion about the olive oil also works as I think the epoxy is stay outside the skin a little bit more.
    No spots no itch.
    Thank you Peter!

4. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

ok

ok,good

5. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

FWIW, you can just about ignore every post made to this thread.

I had been going through all sorts of extra precautions based on word of mouth effects of various chemicals associated with epoxy and fiberglass. Then I started actually reading the manufacturer's safety data sheet for each product I used, and I was astonished as to what word-of-mouth had in common with fact: Almost nothing. And that went both ways.

So look at your containers of chemicals, at your fiberglass, thinners, whatever, and then go to the manufacturer's web site and get all pertinent data sheets about them, and read. They're usually just about 2 pages each, and they will dispel a whole lot of pure myths and maybe even tell you about something to worry about which word-of-mouth seems to ignore.

IMO some of the horror stories I had heard about epoxy probably had nothing to do with that, and probably a lot more to do with something entirely unrelated, like cleaning engine parts in the solvent tank with no gloves or maybe huffing gasoline for fun and recreation.

6. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Nice that you do tell us about this krobert.
    As I told before, actually when Herman answered to this thread it was exactly the same as go to a reseller. Because as I told before Herman is a professional regarding this.

Also he is a reseller, so I am convinced that the fact he was given to us comes direct from this datasheet you were talking about. Maybe not the exact words but very close as I think he does almost have this data inside his mind. Then I think this discussion is much more fun then only read a sheat. :)

7. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I don't know, Ken.

The spirit of your post makes a lot of sense. I always check the MSDS, too since I got cyanide poisoning from overheating foam. I agree with reading the MSDS.

However, to say one should ignore this entire thread doesn't quite sit right with me.

For instance: If you were to ignore the thread, you might not understand that the hardener is a strong base and is most safely cleaned up with acetic acid (vinegar). This is a word of mouth thing you don't find on any MSDS sheet.

Using acidic oils like olive oil (YEOWCH! EXPENSIVE!!), canola oil or coconut oil for a pre-epoxy session barrier coat is also word of mouth.

Using nitrile gloves vs. latex - again, word of mouth.

I'd say there is quite a bit of useful information here.

1 person likes this.
  8. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

I have to admit I love the citation from your wife. Also almost my wife say the same hehe.

9. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Maybe my choice of words was poor.

I'm not saying that people's experience with dealing with chemicals has no value. I'm saying that when you're worried about the health effects of epoxy, you should look first at the MSDS and then consider the word of mouth in that light.

The wording of the original post led me to believe that the OP was looking for word-of-mouth only, not intending to see the data sheets at all. My experience with amateur hovercraft building over the last decade and a half leads me to believe that people who make posts like that, or ask questions like that in person, don't intend to look at an MSDS or perhaps don't even know what one is.

FWIW I used to be in that group who thought that sort of thing was for engineers and had no relevance to me since I probably couldn't understand the wording anyway. Then I saw one and realized that it's something anyone with a high school education can understand.

10. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Yes Now I understand your comment a little bit more kroberts.
    And yes actually the health warnings is important and must be able to understand for the users. Else it is very easy to get someones health on the neck for the resin developer or the seller. Able to become an expensive story.

Still I am using Peters advice with the oliveoil and used this method today. Maybe I would be more careful if I would use this every day. Maybe I should handle this epoxy with more care anyway. But my spots is gone since I started to use this mix.

11. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

What data sheets don't tell is how many of us may have some healthy issues with epoxies, neither how severe they can be.
    So far I'm ok.. (fingers crossed)

1 person likes this.
  12. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

Agreed, before I started getting careful I had glass fibers floating around in the air, spilled epoxy in my clothes, on my skin, everywhere the drops would land, and I just left it all there. Went through a lot of clothes, then started noticing irritation where the epoxy had hit, and definite irritation where there was contact with the glass. Wear some gloves, learn how to work glass and learn not to spill epoxy all over everything and wear a face mask, and it all goes away.

At least until you start sanding.

13. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Hahaha Maybe we have figured out why most of us boatbuilders are totally snowbounded. haha

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.