Big Steel Tri

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by joeysranger1, Jan 24, 2007.

1. joeysranger1

joeysranger1 New Member

I am thinking about building a 60-80 ft tri. will be sailing in high latitudes. was wondering if steel hull and aluminium supersturcure would work? do not intend to win races, just wont low heel floating home that can go to out of the way places. any responce would be greatly appreaciated..

thank you:)

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Joeysranger1,

The technology is certainly there. My Moloka'i Strait motoryachts are steel hulls with aluminum superstructures. For a sailing tri, you simply have to be careful with weights of the materials that you are using and figure that into the design set-up so that the boat floats where it is supposed to at a projected reasonable displacement. Give it the sail area that it needs for the weight. It can certainly be done.

Eric

3. la cage

la cage Junior Member

You may wish to consider my method of construction.
    www.bourneboats.com.au
    If you type it in the address bar at the top it will come up, Iam not as yet on the google system.

4. la cage

la cage Junior Member

I have developed a steel sandwich method of construction that would compete with the weight of aluminium. The method is for multichine shapes only. Not necessary to make individual frames, also the dreaded fairing eliminated.
    www.bourneboats.com.au

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.