Headsail Rigging Question

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Kim, May 24, 2005.

1. Kim

Kim New Member

I just finished reading Brian Hancock's book "Maximum Sail Power". His "Basic Sail Inventory" on page 155 confuses me and I hope someone on the Forum can assist me in understanding it. In his basic inventory, he lists two headsails that would be hanked-on the forestay: 150% No. 1 genoa and 98% blade/heavy weather jib. He also lists a 130% roller-reefing jib.

I always thought that you had to make a choice in how you handled your headsails. You either had a roller-reefing headsail that you rolled down when you needed a smaller jib. OR you had several headsails of different sizes that you hanked-on the forestay. I thought they were mutually exclusive choices.

What confuses me is that Hancock lists both kinds of headsails in his "Basic Sail Inventory" and "Additional Sails". Is there a way I can use both systems, or do I choose one or the other? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Kim

PS I guess I should have said in the beginning that I sail a 25-foot fractional sloop rig boat.

2. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

i sailed on a 58 foot boat that carried a 150% genoa and having a 130% one is not very useful as there will be not many opportunities to use it, as when the wind picks up to the point the 150% is too much, then the 130% is also too much. of course, this could be because of the type of boat. Roller reefing headsails isnt always a good idea, as i have found that it can damage the furler and you dont get a proper sheeting angle by roller reefing. If i were you i would go with the 150% and the 98%.

3. Sketch

Sketch Junior Member

twin stays

Just a thought, but perhaps he meant to have twin forestays, one in front of the other. The after forestay would accomodate the 130% on a roller to be used for general purpose sailing. In heavier weather bag the blade on deck so that it can be hoisted in a hurry, else if the conditions are light and you will be doing a lot of broad reaching hank on the 150%.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.