Stringer replacement

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jphillips, Jun 1, 2009.

1. jphillips

jphillips New Member

I have removed the rotten wood from the stringers and transom, wet foam and old fiberglass from an 18.5 Quantum fish and ski. After reading some of the posts here, I realize I might have made a mistake by removing all of this at one time. What is the best way to ensure that I have a straight hull after I complete my repairs? The boat has been on the trailer the whole time, but would it be better to build a set of rails to set the boat on to make sure everything is lined up correctly? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Pictures would help. The obvious thing will be a hook or other type of hull distortion as a result of removing the structural elements without proper support.

Ideally, you'll want the bottom to be straight and not drooping down near the transom.

Post some picture of the hull profile, showing the lines on the bottom, such as strakes, keel and chines.

3. jphillips

jphillips New Member

I'll get some pictures posted this evening.