hdpe hull strip planking /molding

Discussion in 'Materials' started by gabdab, Oct 19, 2008.

1. simon

simon Senior Member

Take a fiberglass mat, without hardened resin, it will not only sag but just hang. The combination of fibers with resin make the difference. Combine thermoplastics with fibers and you get good stiffness values. What about the honeycombs. They are engineered, so they are stiff, because of the thickness and the weight is reduced by the cutting down the mass.
    There are existing panels that are made of honeycomb and welded on surfaces, all made of thermoplastics.

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Great ideas, someone might even have a product like this ready to market. I just shot a e-mail to Plascore (Zeeland, Michigan) to see if they are working on it.

3. simon

simon Senior Member

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Good post, I remember that one.

About that same time I contacted a manuf'r in China via e-mail about his thremo-honeycomb product. I think they were working on getting it to Australia and then in a few years to the west coast of the USA. I think if I wanted half a semi truck of it he would have sent me it, all I wanted was a test sample which I went without.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.