New to the Boating world, Any help would be great :)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Scubadude1973, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Scubadude1973

Scubadude1973 New Member

Hello All,

Im About to Purchase a 1977 20' Starfire "closed Bow", W/ A 351W inboard, OMC outdrive. It Is going to need a good bit Of TLC,But Im ready for the Challange and what a great way to get myself and family into the boating world. Im haveing a great deal of trouble finding any real usefull info on this particular boat. Im wanting to Do-It-yourself restoration as much as I possable can. If any one could Give me An A-Z On where to start the restoration process,and any seriously helpfull links would be so very much apprieciated.
    Thanks Chris...

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Try different queries above in 'Search' (not 'Search this thread') Here's a site that will be helpfull.
    http://forums.iboats.com/
    Be prepared to maybe not get in the water for a year or two or never, depending on the TLC required. Be prepared to spend a lot more than the boat is worth or that a decent one in running condition would cost. Sam

3. e39dream

e39dream Junior Member

hey scubadude1973- welcome. I agree restoring an old boat can be costly but if you are truly motivated towards your goal and a handy person you can do it. I am restoring a 1969 larson myself- be sure to check out the wood below deck for rot. good luck!

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Yes, it's doable and I don't mean to bum the guy out. But it can't hurt to slightly forewarn someone who is going to buy a potential big problem without any idea what to do with it or what needs to be done. A. Don't rush into it. 30 year old boats that need a good amount of TLC are usually not worth anything. A lot of people would pay you to take it off their hands and save them the considerable expense of disposing it. B. If you are going to put in a considerable amount of time and money into the project, you might as well take the time to post some pictures and background information on the thing. If that happens, that will be C and that will have an effect on what D-Z might be. Sam

5. Scubadude1973

Scubadude1973 New Member

Thanks for to the quick responses:)

Thank you all,

SamSam, Thank you Far Most for being the most relistic with me and not sending a crapload of links that just wanna take my money. Sorry for being as Vague as Ive Been And Very excited about posting photos Of what I hope to be a enjoable Refinishing of a classic Boat. Im Picking up this Project for 500 dollars Boat trailer included.What I Have On me list of things to do atm is Seats as there are none, Floor/ some stringers as a couple of the stringers are rotted out. Im Un sure of what to do with what appears to be the Blown in Foam under the floor. The Hull Outside has no Visable damage But would Like to Refinish whith new paint and such.Gagues are the next thing on me tado list. Then Making sure I have a Proper Buldge set up, Then Get into the very minor Motor work. This Is where I run into a problem as Um unsure of the Outdrive system what to look for as probs and such , and where to getany replacement parts I need.LAst On me project is to refinish the hardtop with some very minor glass work and paint. I have set aside 4grand for the Boat. Now the Question comes out , Is that suffencient or am I truly wasting my time with this fixer upper?? Photos soon to Follow.

Thanks Agin Chris ..

6. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

From my experience and your description of what has to be done I think you are dreaming and wasting you valuble time. It's a dream I see repeated many times over including by your's truely. You buy a $500 boat set aside 4 grand and do not understand the magnitude or the amount of material a boat like that will consume.

You haven't mentioned electrical. In todays world electrical is a large part of the price of a new boat. Even minimal systems run into the thousands. Labor dollars are not that high on new boats. Right now you cannot imagine what the costs will be. Is your family prepared for the boat to run far over budget?
    I would expect you to run closer to $10,000 instead of $4,000. When you are done the boat will probably be worth $4,500 or so. I personally have never stayed within double my original estimates on boat project costs.

Boats that are ideal as restoration projects are high quality sought after classics that truely only need TLC or are so rare the project is worth major repairs.

I do not want to throw cold water on your dreams, far from it but, unless you're a fixit junky who doesn't care if he ever gets on the water, then you should consider rechanneling your dreams. Buy the $4,500 boat that some other sole spent $10,000 to restore, they are out there.

Boats are very expensive toys and dreams are easily shattered by major work and expenses, especially with other family members involved. I can tell that you are presently excited so my suggestion would be to try to set yourself up for the most chance of a happy family centered success cuz your plan is not a great way to get the family into boating. Once you get your feet wet and decide you really like it then you might look for a project.

7. e39dream

e39dream Junior Member

If I were in your shoes with a family wanting to see the lake I'd go spend that 4500 on a sea worthy rig and enjoy the summer on the water.

that's my voice of reason- it works well when offering advice, yet I rarely take my own.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.