Hawsepipes

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by RayThackeray, Feb 12, 2012.

1. RayThackeray

RayThackeray Senior Member

"I say I say I say - I have 8 inch hawseholes."
    "Crikey - those girls are going to have to be thin to get through then."

After a ridiculous long time of hard work using a torch to cut thickly framed box gunwales, jostle the pipe into position, burnt eyebrows and jammed fingers, trying to adjust so that the pipes look symmetrical, cutting the holes too bloody big no matter how careful I was and filling with bits of steel, enduring endless annoying people coming by and telling me I was insane, fabricating 1/2 inch rim plates and bending them around the conical bows, innumerable curses, I'm finally down to fill welding and finish grinding to get a nice smooth rim.

I just test fitted the anchor by pulling the 100lb bugger up by rope (a tug-of-war with a friend) and was surprised at how easily if popped through - I was expecting some major jiggery-pokery - here it is. Clearly I'll need to weld on some stainless steel plates for the flukes and stock, but it turned out better than I'd come to expect...

Attached Files:

2. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Hawsepipes are a most civilized place to carry ones anchors. Well done, sir.

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Damn that's ugly!

Congratulations!

Nothing a little paint wont transform into a functional thing of beauty.

Well done.

-Tom

4. The Loftsman

The Loftsman The Loftsman

Hi,
    If you had developed them out then they would have fitted perfect and been symetrical as well.

5. murdomack

murdomack New Member

Not "they would" but "they should". :eek:

6. RayThackeray

RayThackeray Senior Member

Absolutely right, mate. We had the ovals mapped out perfectly (so we thought) but I'm buggered if they worked right. Even after doing starboard side, the port side should have been a doddle, just transfer the hole right? Bloody WRONG. Oh well, it's steel, gaps were filled...

7. The Loftsman

Should-Would or Wooden

Ha,ha,
    One of them days I will get the hang of yon English

All corrections welcome.

Cheers

8. The Loftsman

Hawespipes

Hi Ray,
    Dont feel bad about it, its just a learning curve and hawespipes can be one of the most complex to get right, another one of the parts of a steel boat that seems like it should not be too difficult to do eh!
    The welders would be only to happy to fill the gap, and with a wee bit of paint it will look fine.

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.