Hawaiian style spritsail: I know why, but why not?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by peterchech, Jan 26, 2011.

1. peterchech

peterchech Senior Member

[​IMG]

For my outrigger Wa'apa canoe. I am a big fan of the balanced lug, but in this application I will be building my own sails and making two triangular sails will be easier than making two lugs (I'm doing a schooner proa version of the boat, set up for mainly sail steering). The sticks will be lighter as well I imagine, and also quicker to construct and ultimately rig up on the beach. I know reefing is harder, but I think a brailing line and some reef points that can be tied in on the beach should be good enough for my purposes.

Down sides to this sail?

2. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

Peter, you might find this post interesting, about the process I went through to choose a sprit/sloop rig for my little cat.

One thing I might worry about with your schooner proa is that the two rigs will be moved out toward the boat's ends, which may cause a greater likelihood of pitching to an undesirable degree. Double-ended multihulls already have that problem, because they don't have the hullform working to damp out pitching.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.