Having new boat built, motor decison

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Rushcreekoutdoo, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Rushcreekoutdoo

Rushcreekoutdoo New Member

Hey guys, this is my first post. You all seem like a helpful and nice bunch of guys.

I am designing and will most likely order a 20/72 or 22/72 Modified V Tunnel hull F & F boat with pods. I currently have a 20/72 mod vee no tunnel no pods with a Tohatsu 115 TLDI. I use my boat for crappie fishing/guiding in the fall and winter and skiing/tubing with the family in the summer.

I have the possibility of selling my 2007 unit as a package and buying a new motor.

This may sound childish, but I want this boat to scream. I have found a great deal on a 130 ETC and also a great deal on a 150 Yamaha 4stk. I know that the tunnel and the pods will hurt my performance some. Bottom line, I want to go 58-65 mph. Principally, I want to do this so I can blow my brother in laws high dollar Sea Ray off the water. My 115 would run 46-48 and would tie him for top speed and punish him on torque, but I ended up with some cupping at the transom from hanging on stumps in Reelfoot and lost some performance. The tunnel and pods will greatly help with my fishing, but what's my best choice for the concerns listed above?

I posted this question (with a few less details) on another major boating forum and have gotten very little response.

Thank you in advance.

Rushcreekoutdoor
    Sonfishing

2. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

65 mph fishing boat !

You fish... rocketfish :)
    Taste good ?

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

nothing wrong with hi-speed fishing !!have a 14.6 ft cabin boat doing 120km /hr with a 115 yamaha , has 450mm steback and a 25inch shaft . It goes right off the yamaha speedo !!:p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.