New efficient Hull for Yachts.

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by cothrang, May 23, 2006.

1. cothrang

cothrang New Member

I am no boat designer, just so we're all clear. :)

I'm an investment analyst, and through my continuous dealings with individuals with great ideas and no capital, I've learned a valuable lesson. Build a good team first, let them help you build a plan. Your plan will be more sound and complete.

Here's where we are. We're putting together a GREAT team, and we're looking for qualified boat designers who can think out of the box. We've got an online collaboration area, and we'd like to discuss the possibility of teaming together a few designers with experience in some of the latest hull designs (step, hydro, aerohydro, etc.).

If you are interested in joining our team, please contact me via direct e-mail to discuss. Thank you, and I've really enjoyed reading your post on your site!

Greg

2. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Cool, but what specifically do you plan to design? Just hulls? Forgive me if I'm apprehensive, but it rings of spam.

3. cothrang

cothrang New Member

No spam.

This is no SPAM.

I can't get in to a lot of details, due to the confidentiality required of the project. At this stage, this is simply an "idea", which is being developed. If the "idea" grows to a business proposal, then confidentiality is critical to being first to market.

We are simply looking for builders, knowledgeable and willing to learn, break out of the box, etc.

Recently we've seen some fascinating things from Bentley Yachts, but not sure of the viability of these hull designs, as most look like plans only. There website does not do their designs justice, if they are infact, a legitimate contender.

I hope this helps to realize, this is not SPAM, but simply a request to build a team of people to analyze an idea, and to determine if it is profitable as a business model.

Thank you.

Greg

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  4. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

dear greg,

if you are interested on new and innovative but prouven hull design, have a look on my web:

www.ranchidesign.com

regards,

Otto Ranchi

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

If you're talking about ground-effect boats/planes like the ones featured on the Bentley site, then I'm afraid you won't be breaking any new ground - WIG's have been around for a long time. Like many good idea's though, they failed to take off ;)

6. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

cothrang, I was unable to private message you through the forum. Do you want to provide an email address or web site?

7. cothrang

cothrang New Member

Thank you for the responses.

I've received numerous e-mails as well as the post here on the site. Thank you for the POSITIVE comments, as with any idea, we are continuously bombarded by criticism.

I will be out of pocket until Tuesday for business. I will have limited access to e-mail.

Please continue to send e-mails and post, and we will review and attempt to contact the best team members for our project. We are interested in both talent in hull designs, as well as attitude. Again, thank you for your communications, and I look forward to returning soon.

8. off of this tread,
    Ranchi Your concept it will be applicable to fast power catamaran design? Do You had some experiences about?
    Thanks

9. RANCHI OTTO

The ASD concept isn't applicable to high speed cat hull for many reasons, one of these is the location of l.c.b. that in such boat has normally a figure in excess of 40% l.w.l. for monohedron shape.

This means that the boat has no necessity to have an increase on lift in the after part otherwise you reduce the dynamical trim angle and the boat will have more wetted surface at high speed.

What it would be usefull is to enlarge the flat part of the chine before the transom, so doing you have lift but no shifting of l.c.b.

To calculate the effect of such flat area see my post to the tread "deadrise and chine flats" dated 12/06/2005.

10. RANCHI OTTO

off of this tread.. > for A****** Boatyard
    I've seen a beautiful passenger boat pic, it would be possible to have an rough idea concerning the price?

11. Ranchi, I replied to picture post, as follow, I will ask for You to Umberto today. Thanks for reply about catamaran.
    "You can ask To Umberto (Italy), as he is designer and builder promoter(upetricich@yahoo.it) but off course the boat has a cost if build in Maldives, and another if build in Europe, even the mould it is demountable and transportable.
    Thsi passenger version it is just a proposal to use the same hull (and same mould) with its high carring capability to be used for example as a passenger vessel ferry between islands in Asia countries (like Thailand) with low vessel cost and low operative cost compared with local built vessels. The hull lines are inspired by traditional Maldives Dhoni vessels."

12. RANCHI OTTO

Thank you.

13. Just told to Umberto about, he will contact You at your website email.
    Luigi

14. cothrang

cothrang New Member

OK, we're moving forward, and apologize for the delays. Holidays and other investments have taken a majority of my time.

If you are interested, and have not already contacted me directly, please send me a request so we can begin discussing our process. You may e-mail me directly at Greg.Cothran@gc.s27.dotnetsql.com and we will begin reviewing. Thank you.

Greg

15. SeaPhantom

SeaPhantom Junior Member

Practical Ground Effect

check out www.seaphantom.com. Boatbuilder approach to groundeffect. 95% of prior world efforts to fill the transport efficiency/speed gap between slow but 'cheap' ships; and fast but expensive aircraft have been approaching the problem from the wrong direction. That is ; they have been trying to make an aircraft stay on the ground, instead of make a boat fly.

That's why it hasn't been practical. Three main problems keep surfacing:
    1)there is no civilian technology (read practical) to make a 'boat' light enough to operate in complete free flight, yet sturdy enough to hit the water @ 100mph and have any good chance of survival.

2) With water being 800 times denser than air; one must install maybe twice the horsepower required @ airborne cruise to make the transition over the drag hump and out of the sea.

3) how to deal with theoretically every seventh wave is 50% higher than the other six? When you are in a craft that will disintigrate if it touches one, flying mere meters off the water?

SeaPhantom took a boat builder's approach, and solved the aerodynamisist's problems hydrodynamically. This is not theory, it actually works. www.seaphantom.com As of 52mph, achieved on less than 160hp, installed on a 3500lb craft; the SeaPhantom project is currently outside the existing performance curves for 'boats'. More is comming. And scale-up to yacht, or passenger transport size increases efficiency further.

Attached Files: