Hull files anyone?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Splint, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Splint

Splint Junior Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to learn how to draw boats in Rhino and I'm getting the basic drawing right but not as good as I would like. I think having some other files that I can open and look at and compare with mine might help things along a bit. Anyone willing to share any files of hulls (decks and shells are also of interest).

Thanks
    Splint

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Splint I have some hulls which I call blanks which I edit to what I want, there about 90% fair. You can have a look at them if you want, what style of hull are you after.

3. Splint

Splint Junior Member

Thanks Bhnautika,

I'm mainly interested in power boats up to about 7 meters. I'd like to learn how to draw ski/wake boats and deep vee boats of varoius configurations for recreational diving and fishing. I'm interested in pretty much any type of power boat in or outboard in this area. If you're prepared to make the files available publicly you could post them in the cad blocks section of the forums, otherwise you couls email them to me. If you have more than hulls I'd be interested in that as well as reference material, it all helps.

Thanks
    Splint

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

splint have a look at this and see if its what your after, as I said this is were I start, so its not perfect but will give you the general idea.

Attached Files:

5. Splint

Splint Junior Member

Thanks Bhnautika,

thats what I'm looking for, it's great. How did you make the surfaces for this model?

What I've been doing which may or may not be the best way is the following:

I start in the top view and draw the gunwhale and chine using as few control points as possible (usually only 3). Next I use cutting planes to make sure the lines at the bow finish at the centre line of the boat.

Next I make a curved surface to project the chine onto if I want a chine that climbs as it nears the bow, same deal if I want a 3D contour on the gunwhale, allthough sometimes I set the gunwhale a bit on the high side and later trim the finished surface as required.

Next in the side view I draw the stem from the end of the chine to the end of the gunwhale as a single curve. Then a curve from the chine all the way to the centre of the stern.

I then draw cross sections from the keel to the chine and another from the chine to the gunwhale, add in extra cross sections if I want some flair and sweep two rails. Rework the geometry until I get a shape I like then start the fairing process followed by strakes and filleting and patching edges. By the time it's all done it's a real mess. Do you think my drawing approach is ok?

Thanks again
    Splint

6. Splint

Splint Junior Member

Sorry forgot to say in the last post, I'm interested in any type of hull, liner or shell you have on file. I want to learn how to draw boats in general.

Thanks
    Splint

7. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Splint I create surfaces with the least number of columns and rows of control points. I then manipulate those to get the desired shape. I can then copy that surface and move it so it’s near the first, I then move and snap the edge control points together then change the other edge to where I want it. In this way I build up inter connected surfaces from gunwale to keel. Once I have got the rough shape and dimensions I use the, duplicate edge line tool and curvature graph to help smooth out the edges of the surface. I then smooth and manipulate the surface mid points using either sections or planes with lines at intersections.I also use trimmed surfaces. I will post some more hulls soon.

8. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Splint here are some more hulls using a combination of ways to create the different parts. The file “sailing002” is just 2 surfaces hull and bow. The second file is “day boat” is a mix of continuous surfaces and trimmed. The third “gig001” is the same but has a bit more curvature in the hull. The last file “4chine sports” is of canting keel sports boat using connected surfaces only in flat panel developable surfaces.

Attached Files:

9. Splint

Splint Junior Member

Thanks Bhnautika,

it's good to see another designers methods. At the end of the day it comes down to putting in time and effort to become a skilled designer. Thanks for your offerings...

Regards
    Splint

10. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Splint here is some weird and wacky I came across from a while a go. It has a real mix of methods.

Attached Files:

11. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Splint, unfortunately there is no easy way, I have Rhino and was playing with what you are doing for a few weeks too, I simply do not have enough time to learn it, there is no other way, like playing the piano, practice, practice practice....

When i am not so busy at work i would love to learn to do "what the big boys do".....too many projects and only one life.

12. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

For those who are interested the shapes of the tri render quite well. Just add your own materials.

Attached Files:

13. ParamarineV6

ParamarineV6 Junior Member

The Paramarine alternative

Splint

Have a look at what we can do in Paramarine -

http://www.grc-ltd.co.uk/products/paramarine/hull_generation.asp

It is extremely easy to use and very versatile.

We also used XT and the bitmaps techniques to provide a full model with compartmentation of HMAS Sydney, for DSTO australia in support of the Board of Inquiry into her loss. I'm hoping to get that case study approved by DSTO soon so you can see what we did.

If you want a demo version, drop me an email. Are you a student or employed in the business?

regards

The Paramarine Team

14. deathcloud88

deathcloud88 Junior Member

Hey splint, I'm interested in designing my own wake board boat out of metal. So i was curious how your design efforts where going and if you could give some suggestions or where i should start. if you don't mind drop me an email at brenton032001@yahoo.com

thanks Brenton

15. Splint

Splint Junior Member

Hi Brenton,

my priorities have changed for the moment so I've not had much time to try and develop my skills any further. I think drawing any organic shape in cad software requires skill only gained by many, many hours of trial and error and a continuous effort to improve. It's no different from learning to draw by hand or as mentioned in an earlier post, playing the piano. It all comes back to hours at the pc trying to get it right. I personally would prefer to learn to draw a boat from scratch rather than use software which is wizard driven. I imagine if you can't draw without a program which generates hull shapes then you'll probably never really be able to fine tune automatically generated hull shapes with a high degree of success.

I still prefer drawing a wireframe of the boat and then using sweep2rails to generate surfaces. I imagine if you're going to make a metal boat then by its very nature your design will have to be fairly simple, which in some ways is good because you don't have to fuss over contoured shapes possible in glass.

Just to put people in the picture I don't work in the marine industry, I would like to build my own boat for recreational use and if it is viable I would consider a business venture in that area. It is more of a dream than reality at this stage, but for me the only real obsticle is creating a cad drawing of a boat which I feel is worthy of making into a project. The other aspects such as financing, building, fitting out, transporting etc. are all quiet acheivable.

Cheers
    Splint

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.