Seeking design and designer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sandshark, Oct 14, 2005.

1. sandshark

sandshark Junior Member

I want to build a stable workboat that will be used on the Chesapeake Bay for a trot line crabbing operation. The boat will be single handed and must be both stable in varying conditions but also have ample workspace for lines, nets, baskets, etc. Most boats that I have seen operating are small deadrise boats, built locallyon Maryland's Eastern Shore. but I have been unable to locate plans for such a vessel anywhere. As far as a commercial comparison, Matthews Brothers builds the Robbins 29 workboat which is very popular with commercial crabbers on the Bay. Obviously I could simply buy the Robbins (if I could afford) but I really want to build the boat. I also think the 29 is bigger than I need. I am thinking something in the 24-25 foot range, 9-9.5 foot beam, perhaps a small trunk cabin or pilot house forward. Any assistance, comments, suggestions in finding plans, design help would be appreciated.

2. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Wood, steel, aluminum or GRP?

3. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Something like that?

Attached Files:

4. sandshark

sandshark Junior Member

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Would you be interested in a plywood design?

6. Deering

Deering Senior Member

7. sandshark

sandshark Junior Member

Deering, this is looking very promising. How long did it take you to build? What power did you use? Do you think it is stable enough to be an efficient, safe working platform? Appreciate the information.

8. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Well, I didn't build the seachaser model, but it seemed closest to your specs. What I built was a 16' skiff (the Snowgoose). Three of us worked on it. From start to finish we spent under 200 manhours total. I'd estimate (but probably be wrong) that the seachaser would take about double that.

9. sandshark

sandshark Junior Member

Thanks. I will look further into the sea chaser -sounds like it may work.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.