Have some Crazy Ideas about converting a Tug

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by vrwc0915, Oct 20, 2005.

1. vrwc0915

vrwc0915 New Member

Hi All, I am new to the site and have a medium level of knowledge of things nautical. About 5 years ago I purchased a 28' carver that was an insurance total loss. I was able to repower it and fix it on my own and enjoyed many a gulf cruise in it. At the time I was single so it had plenty of room, but now 3 children and a lovely wife later I have the water bug again. I want a vessel that can:
    Support 5 people for at least 14 days under way
    Cruise 400NM unrefueled
    Is costal sea worthy (25-50 NM offshore)

I don't have a few million to plop down at once to buy a shiny new toy, nor would I wan't to. I was thinking that I wanted a non displacement hull of steel for because:
    1. I am not in a hurry
    2. I wan't something that can take a beating in rough weather
    3. If piracy is an issiue steel vs fiberglass /RIB factor

I thouyght that a tug like this would be ideal
    http://www.boatquest.com/photos/0904051204241.jpg

I know that refitting will cost quite a bit but I like the work and that is the only way I could do it is a little at a time.

The things I would like to do would be:
    Have a redundant electrical system , Can power off of prime movers/genset/trickle solar charge with battery banks

Have freshwater making capibility (Powered RO)

Autohelm ( I would most likely install rayethon raylink intergrated system)

I know I am a little off my rocker and was just wanting to get everyone elses input

2. vrwc0915

vrwc0915 New Member

Some of my specific questions

1. Building up the area behind the pilothouse, I am assuming that since this a tug the weight of building materials should not be a big deal as long as I keep it within sanity. I would like to turn the stern area into a cabin.

2. Mast with sail to increase range, Is their a mast/sail big enough in the world to help push a non displacement hull?

3. I like the old 2 stroke GM's but could I get more range and speed with some of the new Cummins BTA this boat currently has 351's

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.