New Eliminator boat build

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by conmax, Jan 22, 2017.

1. conmax

conmax New Member

I am having a custom 28' Speedster with twin 400 verados built by Eliminator.
    The focus is on building a very light, yet strong hull and deck. It is using cabon/kevlar throughout with coosa, decolite and foam cores. This is the first full build for Eliminator using Crestobol urethane resin from Scott Bader in the UK. This resin requires infusion which is also new to the builder.

I watched the infusion process last week. Now that the Peel-ply is removed, I noticed several areas where the carbon/kevlar sheets are not flat and are wrinkled. Does anyone know if this could cause any problems beyond cosmetic?
    Can I have the laminators grind down these areas and flatten and apply new resin?

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Was clear gel coat used so the carbon could be seen, or is this going to be an opaque gel coat or paint finish?

Most of the time on a boat like this a fold in the material isn't going to make a difference other than cosmetic.

3. conmax

conmax New Member

Not sure what you mean.
    gelcoat applyied to mold then barrier coat then lamination layers. cabon/kevlar last layer b4 resin.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

There are many carbon parts made with clear gel coat so you can see the carbon, it's mainly for the carbon look, not for the strength and lightweight. In this case you can't see the carbon, so it won't make a difference. If this was for aerospace or something similar, then yes folds would be an issue.

What is so special about the Crestapol resin?

5. conmax

conmax New Member

good, glad to hear these won't be a problem. i am also having quite a few stripes of visable carbon fibre in the gel after the boat is removed from the molds.

Crestobol is a new urethane resin used principally in carbon fibre builds. According to the resin manufacturer, Eliminator is the first US boat builder to use this resin. It is stronger than vinlyester and equal to epoxy. We had two 2x2 samples laid up. One using carbon/kevlar weave and vinlyester resin, the other infused with Crestobol 1250. The weight savings was 17%.

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Interesting, I haven't used it.