Shanty/Pontoon Boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by creativeglenn, Sep 15, 2010.

1. creativeglenn

creativeglenn New Member

Hi I am considering building a modern version of a Shanty boat from plywood.
    I want to live on the canal but find the cost of steel narrowboats very high.
    I like the look of the old Shantys and wondered if this kind of thing would be possible.
    I am thinking of using timber frame but not sure what to go for.
    Should I use nails or screws?
    Should I epoxy the bottom?

Any ideas would be appriciated.
    Thanks.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Purchase a set of plans and stick to the materials list and construction details.

I take it that you aren't going to use a GRP hull, strip it out, then make it suit your needs. From a maintenance point of view it would probably be better if you use the GRP hull, particularly with a shanty, which typically wouldn't have the routine maintenance preformed as a yacht would. In short, wood maybe easy to work with, but it can tolerate neglect the least, so wouldn't be the wisest choice for a shanty hull in my opinion.

Again find plans. I don't have plans for a shanty type craft, but there are many places that do. Naturally, most of these will be plywood over frames, which I think is a poor long term choice for this type of craft, but conversions could be made, as well as heavy external 'gless sheathing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.