has anyone used Smith & company Epoxy

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by akkevin, Aug 23, 2010.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, we're in agreement about the use of both penetrating and regular epoxy on carvel repairs. I was just attempting to address the dis-information about penetrating epoxy.

Both tung and linseed oil have smells that I find objectionable, but in light of the other smells typically found in a old wooden yacht, maybe the lesser of the usual evils, which include diesel, gasoline, engine oil, heavy gear oil, glycol, black water, vomit and the enticing concoction when combined in the bilge with sea water.

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
    And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
    And the swill of the bilge and the oil and filth, and my guts aching.

(Apologies to John Masefield)

3. PAR

Sorry Terry, was that too much of an aromatic picture for you . . .

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

welcome back Par

good to see you

B

PS
    I've been using Tung oil over alkali based stains as my preferred exterior finnish for some time now
    granted its not stuff that typically sees a salty environment but still it holds up to the elements and when it needs maintenance its a simple wash and apply, no extensive sanding involved
    The customers love the ease of reapplication each spring.

5. PAR

Maybe you can get away with that level of care in sunny Denver, but here in the sub tropics, you'd have lots of burned wood if you went a full year between recoats. We're lucky to get by with 3 times a year, most must apply new coats 4 times a year and show winning oil jobs are done every other month.

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

And to top your fragrance description, I use also pine tar, kerosene, coal tar and creosote.
    Now why anyone want a boat? :D

Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.