Has anyone here started a boat building business from scratch?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by aqualoco, Feb 7, 2004.

1. aqualoco

aqualoco Junior Member

Hey Jocko, the Seajet is 9' long and only seats 2, so this in no way resembles the 16' + long Bombardier made boat. Its not even in that market.

The design is a bit dated in a world that styles change as quick as the styles of a Nike tennis shoe, but it does look like a boat. You also have to consider that we live in a world that things that were once considerd out of style come back in style again and again. I have already thought of making a few different versions. Maybe in the current "classic" look, a more futuristic one, a european look with a molded swimplatform with teak surface and a custom one with a race faring and wild one of a kind paint schemes, or maybe a mini jet sprint model, who knows...

As far as competing against a multi-national company, it not possible, but your'e right, one can survive in the right niche. One thing for certian is that it is a very small boat at 9', but you sit in it, not on it like a personal watercraft. At todays gas prices, this little 9 footer offers alot of fun at a fraction of the cost to operate a regular sized boat. Hell, I might just call it a mini hybrid and sell thousands of them :D .

I am 42yrs old and own a 30' twin engine offshore race cat that does 105 mph on gps. When I decide to leave the cat at home and take this little boat to the lake for a day, I forget all about image and I have just as much fun without the headaches of a larger boat. When I pull up to the docks it draws a crowd of all ages with all kinds of questions. Is there a market for it? I don't know but I hope to see one day...

2. MseitifM

MseitifM New Member

Boat building in UAE

Hi, Eisa,
    I happen to read your post dated Feb. 2004 about your boat building business in Dubai. I am a boat lover and a frequent visitor to Dubai. I am just curious how your boat business and the whole boat building industry in Dubai is going now since it's been a year and half after your Feb. 2004 post.
    Thanks and regards.
    Mseitif

3. DCB

DCB New Member

Boat Building in NC

AQAULOCO - how did you hair building boats? We are looking at moving forward with building the FLICKA - we acquired the molds...this is a 20' sailboat...previously build by Pacific Seacraft.