BUILDING RIBs

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by AQUASPORT, Jul 1, 2007.

1. AQUASPORT

AQUASPORT New Member

We are actually ensembling RIBs, we import the hypalon pontoons and have fiberglass molds that we have modified from other RIBs. All is done very handcrafted and one by one.
    We will like to go to the next step, to design the inflatable pontoons,cut molds,etc..and to design our own fiberglass hull, but dont know anything about it.
    Does anybody know were to start?

2. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

I understand that you don't want to hire a designer...but it helps to have some schooling in naval architecture for what you want to do. However you can always get a license of Rhinocerus and go at it. Take some software classes and ask questions online (expect to spend considerable time). I have seen the most famous designers fail and I have seen back-yard builders kick ***, so anything is possible (testing boats is part of my job so I have some experience). Buy a book called "the Nature of Boats" by Dave Gerr, it's a nice introduction to how complex this process really is.

3. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

You should have no problem coming up with enough info on this site to learn how to make your own hulls from a mold. Building inflatable tubesets is not easy. The folks that make these things only make money because they are fast and know what they are doing. You can save money on the tubes by ordering in volume.
    If you are copying another builders design wont you just end up with a boat that is already on the market? If you are in a remote area, building hulls locally will save you money, tubes are light and cheap to ship. There are a few places out there that manufacture tubes only ( don't build their own boats ) for RIBS.
    Good Luck, inflatables are the way to go.

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Do you have pictures of your boats or website?