Design A Cabin

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by messman, Aug 23, 2010.

1. messman

messman Junior Member

Howdy all. I have been trying to design the layout of my cabin and I just can't seem to come up with anything I really like. Part of the problem I am having is trying to make it roomy and still have every thing. So if you were to design a cabin with an 8' 6" beam and the total length of the cabin was 12' to 13' 6" long how would you lay it out?

I am including a "Blank" layout so you can see it. You can also download and draw all over it if you want as well. Some additional questions are how much space would you allow for a

Galley
    Head
    Forward Birth
    Dinning Area (Converts to berth for 2)
    Helm

Please give me some ideas. The brick wall is starting to hurt my head.:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for all your great ideas
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

A FWD double will always be a problem as the occupants have to climb aft over the pillow to get out. Head call at midnight requires gymnastics.

My preference is for "Concordia Bunks' superb seaworthy bunks , probably overkill on a coaster , but great to use for seating or as sea bunks.

The galley big room user is the reefer , a big insulated box that takes lots of room.

I prefer the RV propane fridge freezers for unlimited non electric endurance , which is an even bigger box.

Aint easy , byr do able.

FF

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Standards have been developed over time that make just about every sailboat (at least) of a given size nearly identical. At least if efficiency is being prized over novelty.
    Without an actual set of drawings, however, showing, for example how your boat's interior differs from an actual rectangle, not much can be said here to help you.
    Bolger's box-like cruiser interiors would be an exception but I'm guessing your space has a sole narrower than the maximum beam, and that the house is such and such wide at full standing height and the decks so and so lower (how low?). In addition, is this a sailboat with the intrusion of a mast support or mast itself?
    Only drawings will clarify your questions.

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Attached Files:

5. messman

messman Junior Member

First off let me thank you all for the responses I have gotten so far.

Let me provide some additional info I should have provided in the first post, but was too much of a seaweed head :eek: to include it.

She will be a 30' motorized cabin crusier. The drawing or "Blank" I provided is only of the cabin area. Each square = 6". The 1' walk around deck (outer deck on drawing) is available space in the cabin. The rise from cabin deck to the walk around deck is:

F1 = 2'3"
    F2, F3, F4 = 2'4"
    F5 = 2'6"
    F6 = 2'8"
    F7 = 2'10"
    F8 = 2'11"
    F9 = 3'
    F10 = 3"

Hope you understand what I mean by that.

The cabin height will be 6' 4" sole to roof support.

If additional information is required please let me know I will provide it.

Again thanks for the help
    Chris

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Pictures! Pictures!

Yes, I too had a problem at first uploading pictures. Just ask someone for help if you need it, but try try try to show some pictures of your boat in plan view.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Keep it as wide open as possible, when hunkered down in bad weather a crowed cabin gets very claustrophobic feeling.

I personally like to have flexibility designed into the interior so I can move things around if I want to change it from day sailing, weekender with lots of friends along, or longer trips with just two of us.

8. messman

messman Junior Member

She is not my design so I can not claim it, nor do I claim her as my design. The only thing that has been left to me is length, and the location of everything.

Chris

Attached Files:

• View.jpg
      View.jpg
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
  9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The vee berth forward is a given. Small galley in pilot house to port, steering station to starboard. Porta-potty pulls out from center of vee berth below. Fold-down seats/table to starboard to dine. Otherwise the helm is to starboard (must be able to cleverly turn helm seat into the dining arrangement.

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

The house is too small to accommodate what you have in mind!

Vee berth as Alan said is mandatory on such small boat (and of course a PITA as mentioned above), then, still below deck:

Head on one side, galley, well, sort of basic (microwave?) equipment on the opposite .
    Headroom for the galley is provided by the hatch over the passageway between deckhouse and focksle, headroom for the loo is under the instrument board (usually port side)

Steering to stbd, seating on port side in the house.
    If the house would be longer, one could probably have a dinette serving as occasional bed for one person.

Where is your engine?

Regards
    Richard

11. messman

messman Junior Member

The image I first posted is of the cabin area only. There is still 13' aft of the cabin area (again not shown) to fit the outboards and other things I am going to out fit the deck with. The cabin area it's self is approx 12' plus some, not counting a forward rope locker.

You are correct about having a basic galley, it will be nothing fancey.

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

I´m correct on all points,

usually...................:D

I have to sell what i build.

13. messman

messman Junior Member

Ok I have been playing around with this and here is what I have come up with. The colors just represent the area that specific item will be located. Where ever you see the checkered pattern that represents where that area extends under the walk around deck. Please let me know what you all think.

Attached Files:

14. alan white

alan white Senior Member

A little hard for me to read, but more or less what I suggested. Except I'd put the head below and the galley stretching to where the head is drawn.
    A head up there in the upper cabin means no visibility in that corner, a hassle when docking at least. Try to have windows all around if possible. Otherwise, looks right.

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Concur

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.