Hartley TS 16

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Bigfork, May 12, 2010.

1. Bigfork

Bigfork Junior Member

Ostlind will think I'm crazy, but I think I've made up my mind. I don't need a hopped up trimaran. I already have a Laser and a wet (and cold) fired up Hobie 16. I've spent months getting to this decision and wavered all over the place in the meanwhile. I also don't want a lead belly slug. I still want to build, regardless of model. The i550 sport boat looks amazing, but doesn't make for good camping. Hence, my latest inter-web discovery: The Hartley TS 16.

I've now spent days looking at everything Hartley. I really like everything about the boat! Whatever I do, it won't be happening soon, but it doesn't hurt to research and ask all the foreseeable questions I can. I like the community out there. There are many builder's blogs in action with lots of good info and pics to match. I sail in Flathead Lake, Montana, USA. There are likely a handful of these boats kickin around, but there is no active class to my knowledge. Class racing is not my goal. Don't get me wrong; I still want to go fast, but also want something that's beach-able and can squeeze two people, a cooler, and some gear below.

There are claims that the boat will plane at optimum wind and can even beat bigger boats like a Catalina 22, and the like. My Laser will plane, I know what planing means. But a design from the 60's that can sleep two and has some get-up-and-go...is it true? The boat can be built for 5-8000$ or less? Seems cheaper than the i550.

Any folks out there have intimate knowledge of this craft or know someone who does. I'm a timber-frame home build when not teaching art. I like the looks of the traditional Hartley, but am also attracted to it's claims for speed. The bow seems a little portly (a reflection of it's design age). I like the lines of the transom. Will it point at all? The lake I sail on, Flathead, can make some good fetch (5 footers) and can have the feeling of a body of water much larger. It also has wonderful bays and quiet hidden coves. A boat with a covered minimalist cabin, a low budget, and a speed tick all have me thinking that this is a nifty craft. As a home-build project, I would likely waver a little on the "trueness" of a class build in favor of personal aesthetics and utility.

I have a handful of preliminary questions regarding the build and would love to pester the willing mind. The Hartley forum is good too, but I want to hear the opinion of some stateside people. The forum is all kiwis and aussies. I think the Hartley 16 is the largest class in the down-under.

Thanks...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.