Harley 42'

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

The generator I have is an old Kohler 4CZ that I bought on ebay several years ago. It has approx 250 hrs on it now. Its all original except the the mechanical governor has been replaced with a electronic solid state unit. The RPMs are solid as a rock with it. Much better than the mechanical.

2. Family Toy

Family Toy Junior Member

Gentlemen,

Matt with Family Toy here. Well, I am reluctantly throwing in the towel on the Harley project. A growing family and business has put a stop to my progress and I need the space it occupies in my shop. I am considering selling as a package or in part. The hull is in great shape with the exception of the transom and rearmost portion of the stringers. The hull has no portholes and some other skeletons in the closet so call if you want more information. She has 375 Hp 3208 TA's, Twin Disc Transmissions, Bronze in-line #8's & Rolla 5 blade wheels. I rebuilt the drives and serviced the engines & transmissions in 2006/7. I ran the boat for a season and everything worked well. I have an 8kw Kohler Marine generator (Yanmar diesel). I also have many new items that I had purchased prior to knowing of the transom issue. Many of these items are still in the box.
    I will also be selling the 50' tandem dual trailer that Family Toy is currently sitting on. I have attached some photo's for reference.

I will assemble a list of the Accy's and include photos in a future post.

Matt (309) 453-5315

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Family Toy

Family Toy Junior Member

Family Toy - Gen

Matt 309-453-5315

Attached Files:

4. Family Toy

Family Toy Junior Member

Family Toy Accy's

- Complete Dometic Vacuflush with vacuum chamber, hose & Todd tank
    - 6 Gallon Superstore marine water heater
    - Xantrex Truecharge 40 battery charger
    - AquaAir air conditioner
    - Fortress aluminum danforth anchor w/ chain and 300' 3/4" line
    - (2) Rule 3700 GPH Gold series bilge pumps
    - (5) Blue Sea HD-3000 series battery switch
    - (2) Blue Sea 7610 120 Amp automatic charging relay
    - Racor 73100FH fuel filter
    - Shurflo water pump and stainless accumulator
    - Stainless 12v/120v marine fridge
    - Many other Misc. marine hardware Etc.

Looks like Pic's are limited so email and I will send Pic's

Matt (309) 453-5315 mjp@parkerfabrication.com

5. pizzacutter

pizzacutter Senior Member

Matt soryy to hear that you gonna hang it up. Would love to see another Harley live on and seems like u got skills and a shop. 2 important parts. (don't forget important part $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!) Anyway I b glsad to spread the word for you (I have one guy in mind) send me pics, acc. list & prices when you get a chance, Lee
    pizzacutter@comcast.net

6. Swamplizard

Swamplizard Senior Member

bummer but completely understandable in this economy ... I can barely afford to run mine and we are doing fairly well compared to many of our peers...... good luck with the sale!

7. FREDYLANT

FREDYLANT Junior Member

Hello Matt,
    This Freddy from TAHITI, I did bought a HARLEY 42 in OXNARD CALIFORNIA 2 years ago. The boat is in TAHITI and I am still working on it. I am sorry to know that you are selling your boat. I do have the same enine cat you have, would you like to precise me what is your range of mph you an with your boat?

8. sharper

sharper Junior Member

Fishtales Progress

Hello all. i have been busy evenings and weekends on the boat. Im a one man show on this project but its starting to come together. Main stringers are in and working my way to the stern. Using all 20lb baltec or coosa board in the construction . Replaced the wood under the bow rails front to back . Not much wood left in the boat. Built new feul tanks in my fabshop and some hatches to replace the old stuff. Think they are going to look good when finished. Also installed the bow thruster tube. Still a long way frome the water.The dropbox was a good idea so here's mine if u are interested.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pvbqmv5ophqivl2/F9bE7YuU4G

9. pizzacutter

Sharper, I'd say you have done an outstanding job both work workmanship & materials. Wish I had known more about the structural foams when we were doin stringers. Your cabin stringers are almost identical to mine except mine were plywood both sides with poured foam to fill the void. I see you added some sidexside frames under the sofas but not in mid section underfloor (like forward & aft of thruster tube). We had added those in just 3/4" material but later beefed them to same thickness as stringers, as they were showing signs of stress. Think about it...when pounding off big waves, the first thing to take the impact is the middle V. your center ring support is also alot like mine. Did you make it a "ring frame" like the one at the V berth. We found this necessary to suport the deck and improve stringer capture. One bit of advise. You made a "cut out" in the new frame (between front/rear sofas) to allow easier access forward. The bottom 2 corners of this cut out will be taking a huge amount of impact and may crack. I once had laminated three layers of 3/4" marine plywood in the same fashion as yours only to see them "split" upon impact in rough weather. Think about it.. to split 3 layers, well glassed! Alot of impact! I have now "filled" that cutout partially so that you have to step over it to get forward, plus I added "knees" both in the walk area and under the sofas to beef up that frame. I try to add a photo. Feel free to call if u wish. Great work!
    Pizza Cutter has been for a crusise last week and all is good! really like the new 3.5kw genny. It does Air cond & refrid at same time plus a few lights, etc. All I need.Just got delvd. new mattress. Been sleeping on junk for decades. This thing is nice. Was almost $2000 with pad and set of sheets (on sale!). Hope to be spending alot of time on it soon.
    Anybody else in the water?? Tom?? do the Merlins live??
    Hope all is well for everyone. Lee

Attached Files:

10. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

It has been a bit quiet here lately, so I decided to make a small contribution.

The deck above the anchor locker is very thin, and over time the windlass had been flexing it and causing it to crack. Rather than spending the time to add re enforcement under the deck, I made a pattern for a stainless steel plate to bolt on top. A local fab shop cut it out for me, and another shop down the road polished it. I drilled and beveled all of the screw holes myself. Now it's screwed and glued, with virtually no flex when pulling the anchor.

Updates anyone?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. Swamplizard

Nice work .... I'll take one and so will Pizza

12. Swamplizard

Almost lost her last week

Went on a 10 day motorcycle trip to Smokeys and when I left the batteries were fully charged (3 of them), everything A-okay.

Got a call from the local police department late last week telling me someone had reported the boat was laying low in the water. Firemen went and dropped a pump in her to empty the bilge....apparently my float switch failed on the primary pump....killed the batteries and since it did nothing but rain all week she was slowly sinking.

Lessons learned:
    1) Have a float switch on each bilge
    2) Separate power for each pump on separate battery bank
    3) Have a tonneau cover for when you are away

Guess I now understand why my taxes are SO high in S Florida....boat is fine except for a wet carpet at bottom of the stairs.

Got lucky this time!

13. Ron Alexander

Ron Alexander Seattle Vice

Yes indeed Oliver. Pretty darn lucky I'd say. Glad to hear everything is okay!

14. pizzacutter

Swamp, glad u are still afloat! Seems if u own a boat u learn something all the time. Problem is I forget them and have to experience over & over..seriously. Steve that is cool anchor locker plate. Too many holes are cut in these boats sawzall style and we are paying price 20 yrs later. Just another way to fix! BTW Steve u need to clean up that boat & boathouse..too messy lol
    Pizza Cutter runnin great & getting some miles. Early July was up & down Chesapeke Bay. Late July was out the bay to Oregon Inlet NC-back to Va Beach Va, then on to Ocean City Md. Total 2 trips 790nm w/o any major repairs:) So now back at house for little R&R. BTW canvas guy is my hero. We have seen serious rain and seas with NO leaks. such a nice feature.
    No trip pics to post. GF & I both just too lazy I guess.
    Havent heard from Tom w/Merlins. hope all is well. I will send him note
    I attach some older photos. U guys post what u got. I like photos
    & Harley stories

Attached Files:

15. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

It sounds like you were lucky that someone noticed your boat sitting low Oliver. Mine sits inside, so no one would notice!
    FYI Pizza I have been scrubbing boat and boathouse from end to end all week. Pressure wash inside and out. I can't decide if I want to mop and glow the boathouse floor, or just have it re painted. I didn't notice how cluttered the bench tops were in that picture until you mentioned it. There are better now.
    Ron, I rented a house on fisherman's bay directly across from the resort where we had the incident with the squiggley guy. :) I'll be there from the 11th until the 21st. (I think) You should gas that girl up and head North! We have a deep water dock this time. Plenty of room for two Harleys.
    I think I've gotten most of the valve issues that I have been plagued with handled. I had new AFR aluminum heads custom assembled with inconel valves and all the best hardware money could buy. The amount of power she has now is almost silly,more than I will ever use, but it sure sounds good. I have the Holley HP EFI dialed in pretty close now. I am getting over 1.1 mpg. Which is more than I ever expected. Hopefully I'm done pulling big ugly parts out of the engines for awhile. That's all I got for now. I will get some new pics soon.

I hope you all are having a great summer.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.