Harley 42'

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2004.

1. pizzacutter

pizzacutter Senior Member

Hey.... I have not been on the net lately. insane busy with work, boats, cars, house, etc! But gettin a lot done with plans for long winter in Fla & Bahamas on the Harley 2013/2014. Will try to cathch up u guys on Harley proress a bit soon. I think I posted new windsheild/dash/electroincs/canvas last but I will try show again cause still improving that. Went to Miami boat show and got a genny and v-berth mattress. Genny is Next-Gen 3.5 w/1cyl. Kubota diesel. jist will run my 16k a/c & refridg. but only weigh 160lb. pretty cool. Gotta make some mods to compartment and floor plus all the hoses and wires. Had a genny b4 so not too hard. Also gonna split the rear floor in 1/2 so opens like gull wings. saw a Harley in fla years ago with split floor- very convenient and safer! So amyway b on lookout for some updates sooon.
    Hi to all ,,Jeep welcome, nice project-- Swamp hope to see u alot soon-Tom Good luck!!

Attached Files:

2. Dreamchaser69

Dreamchaser69 Never~Say~Never

Harley Drop Box pictures

All,

I am going to list my drop box account for the Harley Project. Please do not share unnecessarily with outsiders, but since you asked - it's below.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wy6d27wqruyakj1/rvnfrQIeD2

Heres an update:
    Motor #1 is off and running and #2 is going together this week.
    Gen is rebuilt (as a precaution - while it was out - it had about 500 hours on it) - it's also a Nex-Gen 3.5KW like Lee just bought.
    Boat is over at fiberglass shop to get stingers bolstered up and changes to the interior cabin, bottom paint, and color on the hull. (the design is on the main dropbox page - Harley with silver.jpg)
    Interior is designed - really COOL stuff going inside.
    DASH - Heading to West Palm Beach tomorrow to meet with a company called VEEDIMS - they do integrated vessel management systems - /// www.veedims.com ///. I will also be with KEP Marine who supplies the touchscreens // http://www.kepmarine.com //. It will have 2 - 15" touch screens and a Simrad NOS black box. We are working out the final design on Monday. These systems do everything from electronics, lights, stereo, gauges, navigation - you name it. My base system has 3 modules - eliminating the need for a main breaker panel for 12V circuits. This is the most exciting part of my current rebuild. The whole system - should be around $20K which is very comparable to other analog to NEMA converters, but this does so much more.

Plans are to have the glass work done by the end of this month - then back to the other shop to get first run of rigging done and interior installed and final rigging and hopefully launch by memorial day.

3. pizzacutter

So I start to look at the stringers before I install genny. Never been a fan of Harley stringers :mad: THe 2 stringers that the genny will mount to dead end at the bulkhead behind cabin steps which is not good. To try and gain strength we cleaned and sanded the stringers and applied lots of heavy cloth to tie them to floor, bulkhead, and each other. Then we formed a coosa board box that angles down and ties the stringers together again. Then we glassed that in with heavy cloth. Next we hole saw thru the box and pour in hi strenght foam. When that hardens we glass in the hole.
    Lookin like a lot stronger. Now gonna mount aluminum angles for genny mount.
    Not the way I wanted to spend my St Patty day but only 4pm and still time for green beer. Try to show more genny progress soon.

Attached Files:

4. Dreamchaser69

Dreamchaser69 Never~Say~Never

Lee - can you send me more pics of your dash - from when you got it and any mods up to now? This is almost exactly what we are going to do to mine to allow for the 2 - 15" touch screens. You can post them here or email me.

My genny was in the same place - but we are moving her the the STDB side mid bilge and placing the huge 6V house batteries between the tanks. My fresh water holding tank went below the genny - I am making that tank larger..

thanks!

5. pizzacutter

dash was easy. I just cut out the electronic box and 2nd row of guages and put 2 big starboard plates in place. still needed some glass work but cutting the starboard is pretty easy. The time was all the wiring.
    Also check out the new anchosr locker. Much bigger than old one. Much easier to use and gives me access to bow eye which I reinforced cuased I trailer alot. Good luck Tom!

Attached Files:

6. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

WOW! thanks for the pics guys. It seems there are alot of upgrades going on around here. I can't wait to see your project completed Dreamchaser.

I have been fighting engine problems for the last few months. I think that is handled for now.
    Today I am taking it out for the first time after the Mercruiser MPI EFI system was removed and replaced with Holley's new HP EFI. I did this because my engines have been modified with roller cam and upgraded exhaust, so new fuel and timing profiles are needed. I tried tuning the stock Merc stuff with an aftermarket tuning program, but it was too tedious and time consuming. Manually changing the numbers, cell by cell, then test driving with a handheld AFR meter was beyond my skill level and patience.
    The Holley system in contrast is self tuning. You just enter the desired AFR (air to fuel ratio) and the system will learn and tune itself to reach those parameters.
    I'l keep you posted

7. pizzacutter

Sounds like you are making progress steve! I dont know much bout after market FI but sounds like u got it down. good luck. Spent another Saturday in the bilges of a Harley (25 yr old no less) not a pretty sight. So my genny mission includes some upgrades but nothing too big. Cut the engien mounts from a piece of chaneel left over from trailer repair job and made an access door from other shop scraps (gotta save somewhere!)... The mounts are thur bolted to stringers. The access door goes thry the 2" strucuteal panel behind the cabin steps so I beefed it up with 5200 in front and west system filled in the rear. Also ran a bunch of wires/hoses and modified the front floor section so it is 2 pieces (quick remove panel to access genny). About ready to set in the genny and plumb up.

Attached Files:

8. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Looks good! I wish I had that space available, but it is occupied by the center tank. The engine room is a little crowded with the gen up against the transom, luckily it doesn't need much attention.
    The engines are running good so far. I have about three hours of run time so far. I pulled a spark plug after along cruise and it looked perfect, so I'm pretty happy so far.
    Let's hear updates from everyone.
    Steve

9. boating

boating Junior Member

Bilge Paint ?

Hey guys I just took out 2 150 gallon aluminum gas tanks and 50 gallon water tank out my 35 ft magnum express 1971 pin holes on bottom of tanks new tanks being made stainless steel water tank and aluminum gas tanks with epoxy coating. Since i have bilge open just wonder what you guys would suggest for Bilge paint 2 part epoxy, *****l, polyurathane, ???

Thanks
    Andy

10. pizzacutter

Hey andy, glad to hear u are getting involved. Hope it is not too painful or expnsive. My suggestion. Use Awlgrip u just cannot get a better paint. U will likely use it when u paint your boat. It is kinda expensive but in the long run not that much more. Good place to practice is in your engine room and bilge. Once u get the hang of it u wont mind doing other areas. Stop by some time I show you.

Genny has a new home now between fuel tanks. This thing is pretty cool. fits very nice. I did a midify to front floor section so a smaller piece can be removed to access genny without removing seats. I like

Attached Files:

11. boating

boating Junior Member

Painful pic

Pictures look painful but not to bad so far . I was considering going with a 2 part paint from por 15
    http://www.por15.com/WHITECOTE/productinfo/WCG/ but your right awlgrip been around with great success i will use it
    I will stop by will call first thanks
    I had one gas tank soda blasted just to see how bad the pits are man they are bad .the tanks will cost around $1400 each and $750 for 50 gallon stainless water tank epoxy coated paint on outside

Andy

Attached Files:

12. pizzacutter

ouch. tanks are bad! I suggest u use plastic for water & sewer. Lighter and cheaper. Easy to shop on the net. I used Marshall welding in crisfield Md for tanks 2 years ago. I was very pleased (and of course i shopped a round)

13. boating

boating Junior Member

I will give Marshall a call thanks your right about plastic being cheaper found some 50 to 100 gallon on the net for $300 to $400 thats for square tank I would like to get tapered tank to fit original spot.

14. boating

boating Junior Member

is it necessary to remove the old foam from boat when putting new tanks in ????

15. Swamplizard

Swamplizard Senior Member

Steve - email me details on that genny Bro - think mine went nipples up last week - threw a a rod...dohhhh

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.