Harley 42'

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2004.

1. boating

boating Junior Member

Dreamchaser69- I am still looking Thank you I might take you up on that invite. for all you Harley owners thought you might be interested in this brochure of a 55 ft custom Harley for charter in Cabo. http://www.caboelitecharters.com/AdiosBrochureFinal.pdf

2. Ron Alexander

Ron Alexander Seattle Vice

Thanks for the info Dreamchaser. My family will be vacationing in Cabo in November. We'll check her out.

3. Dreamchaser69

Dreamchaser69 Never~Say~Never

Lee - or any others that had Merlins - what is the model of the Holset turbo? She's gonna need a rebuild and I found a place in AR called G-POP Shop - rebuild kits and rebuilds for just about every brand.

Other than that - she's broken all the way down to the block - going to the shop later this week for some machining.

Keep you posted!

4. pizzacutter

pizzacutter Senior Member

Tom, been almost 20 years sinc I had merlins. I lost most notes. Maybe HH would know? Be careful that the defect that caused the water intrusion might still exist (tiny cracks or defects in a weld) and could dump water in on your newly repaired engine/turbo. I experienced a lot of that. Merlins were born in Ft. lauderdale and the guru was Bob Dunbar. Don't know where he is now but maybe you could seacrch him up. Very knowledgeable & nice guy.
    Have had no time to post up progress on paint-big concrete job got me workin 12 hours days-very tired. But I am losing weight and makin $$, need to do both.
    Will post paint pics soon. Got 2 coats of awl-grip on and gonna add 1 more. Looks awesome. Need to have sunglasses to view up close in bright sun (seriously). Visited Cat dealer last week to check on engines. Lookin great-complete re-paint on all components before re-install-engines should look like new. Don't think they will run better but maybe they will.
    Swamp, what up with gassers? Sorry I missed U last week. Had to help grlfriend paint house! She had it over 90% done when I arrived and I helped finish it & then drive 1,100 miles straight so as to be @ work monday. Too old for all this.
    Steve, have you tested thruster yet? wish you luck with it. U gonna love it.

5. boating

boating Junior Member

6. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Yepper! It works great. I had my first chance to spin the boat around 180 degrees in a tight place with a whole restaurant full of people watching. I looked like a pro :)

I will it again on Saturday, getting under the crane is normally tricky without a helper on the bow. I won't need him this time. I'm pulling the starboard engine for a refresh. It has over 1,000 hours on it now and compression has been iffy for the last few years. I don't want it to quit on me like the port side did last summer, so I'm performing a preemptive strike.
    I just finished up installing radar and integrating it into my existing system. I'm still learning how to use, so far I am very happy with it. There will be alot less pucker this year in the San Juans.
    Speaking of San Juans, I did not take many pictures last time up, because Ron Alexander had the camera. Let's see some pics from our trip Ron!

Steve

7. Dreamchaser69

All, updates for you:
    port is completely broken down. Found sand in the water jackets up to the freeze plugs. This was a blessing in disguise I feel. We are going to freshen her up and do the same thing to the other motor as well just to be starting from square 1. Everything will be be cleaned and brought back to new- rebuild on motor / turbo / boil out coolers, new seals on arnesons, blueprint props, replace all hoses / fittings. Might as well do it right!

Lee (and all) - check out these gauges - http://www.digitalmarinegauges.com/ I am looking at the whole package with the 8.4 inch screen (wishing for the 12") - done a lot of research on this - seems great! Integration is easy too. replacing the older ones - still uses the existing senders but all in real time. Let me know if you want more info as I have the guys contact info there.

If you have a turbo - check out the guys at www.gpopshop.com in AR. I've read a bunch of blogs about them and sure enough the blogs were right. Knowledgeable and fast. Turns out the Merlins came with a Holset H1E. My local shop wanted $750 for a rebuild. The guys at the g-pop said we could redo them ourselves with the complete kit - for $110 each. This saved me $1,250.00 OR they would rebuild for about $300 ea - doing it myself tho.

Will post some mechanical pics soon and the new upholstery is almost done as well - looking good clyde!

8. Dreamchaser69

Lee - turns out that the exhaust elbow (fiberglass one) had a crack in it - it allowed the air pocket out of the top and filled with water - through the turbo and into the exh manifold and into any cylinders that had an open valve. Best solution we could come up with.

Can't wait to see your boat after the paint!

9. FREDYLANT

FREDYLANT Junior Member

Hello, my name is FREDDY
    I have bought a 42 HARLEY in california and I am trying to ship it to my country. I would like to know the ooverall lenght of the boat with your trailer.
    Best regards,
    Freddy

10. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Welcome to the Harley Forum!

Did you buy the one with the 3208 cats and tuna tower? Do you have any picks?

For shipping purposes I'm sure it is all of 50ft on the trailer.

Steve

11. FREDYLANT

FREDYLANT Junior Member

Hello pizza,
    I have just bought a HARLEY 42' in california an d I would like to ship it in my country in TAHITI. Would you like to inform me the overall lenght of th boat with the trailer?
    Thank you so much.
    Freddy

12. FREDYLANT

FREDYLANT Junior Member

Yes Steve, it is the one with the 3208 cats and tuna tower and I am trying to ship it it to my country (TAHITI)
    I am going to send you some pictures as soon as possible.
    Freddy

13. boating

boating Junior Member

Hello Fredylant I think the largest shipping container is 40 ft . I am curious how are you going to ship to TAHITI? My understanding is if it does not fit in a container it cost a fortune. I hope this is not the case for you. A friend of mine from Cyprus bought a 45 ft boat with a trailer in the states he tried shipping to Cyprus cost so much to ship he sold it. email me andy1@gp66.com If for any reason you decide to sell the boat please let me know email

14. Dreamchaser69

ALL -
    Moved the boat over to a new shop to get the other motor out and re-rig the bilge area. Parts off to blaster and powdercoat. Upholstery is done and looks great. Now for motor #2.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE HARLEY POWERBOATS SITE? VICE - IS THIS YOUR SITE? IT NEEDS RENEWAL.

LEE - last time you went through a scale - what did she weigh? I found a lift for her.

FREDYLANT - try a service called "www.uship.com". There you can place the shipment up for bid and see what you get back. Most likely you will have to get on one of the yacht barges. One of them is called the " Mighty Servant" they take yachts and big boats all over the world. Also, you find a larger marina near you and have them help find a overseas yacht transport - the only way to do it is on top of a ship.

15. Dreamchaser69

Does anyone know who has the Harley site? It's down...... :(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.