bilge pumps

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Rranger, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Rranger

Rranger Junior Member

I converted my inboard boat to a outboard transom complete with a splashwell, that leaves me five compartments lengthwise below the floor. They are separated by two stringers and a middle splashwell support off the floor and are accessible at the transom. My issue is I don't want scupper holes in my stringers and splashwell support, so I'd only need 1 bilge pump. I'm wondering if a single pump on each side could handle a suction hose tee'd off two compartments so I'd only need 2 pumps. Original plan was 4 individual pumps off each compartment. anyone got a plumbing idea to keep things simple, and no I don't want holes in my stringers.

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Will not work, unless both compartments have the same amount of water in them, which leads you back to the necessity of limber holes.
    Two bilge pumps will work.
    A diaphragm pump with selector valves would work.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

A limber is the way to go; buy a small bit of epoxy and glass it all up. 4 pumps is nonsense and the pump will not work that way without float switches

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I build limber holes into the stringers with bits of PVC pipe gooped in with a compatible putty.
    Best to add the limber holes before the stringers are glassed in, so a half pipe can be used and the bottom remains flush with the hull, allowing complete drainage.

5. Rranger

Rranger Junior Member

Everything is glassed. And I have done the pvc pipe thing through the stringers before, looks like I will be again.

fallguy likes this.