Toyota 3ltr TD engine wiring loom

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Wez, May 20, 2011.

1. Wez

Wez New Member

Hi all, Is there anyone out there that can shine some light on how I overcome my engine problem.
    I have a Sealine cruser and wish to install a Toyota 3ltr TD engine, I have just removed the engine from my old Surf along with the wiring loom, so its now sitting on my garage floor and won't go!
    The surf was a 1995 gen2 model with a auto box, I thought I could just remove the engine along with the loom and fire it up on the garage floor but no joy! Is there an engine wiring loom I can buy that will run the engine in the boat, or can I modify the wiring loom from the Surf????
    I really like the engine and think it would be a good runner in the boat and a lot eaiser on the juce than the old 5ltr GM unit.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

For a successful transplant you need the wiring diagram of the car.
    There are all sorts of possible reasons why the engine won't run, like an immobilizer box that was hidden somewhere behind upholstery, a coil around the ignition switch to identify the key, a switch to prevent starting while in gear and many others.

3. Wez

Wez New Member

Cheers for that, This engine I think is pre key code, however.. it is everything you say and the next step is to source a wiring diagram, from what I can figure out being out of an auto box vehicle, has a lot to do with lack of signal.
    Time for some head scratching.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Before attempting these jobs one should first consider in one knows what one is doing.

5. Wez

Wez New Member

Seemed a good idea at the time, not beaten yet!!

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Good luck then ,---please let us know how you get on.

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Even my pre-2000 VW engines had a nasty printed circuit hidden in top of the injection pump. It refused to open the fuel valve until it received a digital signal from a black box behind the speedometer, confirming that an ignition key was present, the driver seat switch was loaded and the door closed (!).

In your case there is at least the switch confirming the transmission is in N or P.

8. leaky

leaky Senior Member

It's simple stuff, there's always a way to make it work, without a doubt for a '95.

Start with the previous install - figure out what you left behind, take it out, and install it. In 95 there were computers in 'yotas, you may have left it behind.

If that doesn't help, trouble-shoot the engine. Is it fuel or spark? Take it from there. Use the auto repair manual as that's where it's from.

Even some outboards built in '95 got a signal from the gauges that allowed power to the ignition (plugs wouldn't fire).. For them it's just a matter of knowing what what wire needs +, 'yota may be the same.

Jon

9. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Spark????
    You must be joking.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you know then it is easy. if you don't know its hard.

Nuclear submarines are easy after your first few.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.