Minimum radius bend in 3mm ply

Discussion in 'Materials' started by oddboatout, Aug 18, 2013.

1. oddboatout

oddboatout Junior Member

does anyone know what the minimum radius bend I could make in 3mm ply. Is a 12 inch R hoping for too much. I know that plywood grade and material comes into play but for this question just assume that all marine ply is the same.

Thank you,

2. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Junior Member

Species and grade affect even the order of magnitude for minimum bend radius.

A 12 inch bend is not very tight for 3mm plywood, especially not across the grain. It shouldn't be a problem at all from what you've said.

Most plywood hulls I've seen don't contain radii anywhere near this small. What feature is this for? A soft chine?

3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

3 mm plywood, regardless of species or fiber orientation will make a 12" radius.

5. oddboatout

oddboatout Junior Member

I am working on a better one sheet design and a 12 inch radius would be great.

Thank you.

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A one sheet boat with 12 inch radii? That is going to be an interesting boat. Please tell us more.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.