paint for wood and figerglass

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by old man, Jul 16, 2008.

1. old man

old man Junior Member

I have an old wooden chesapeake bay deadrise I have been working on for years. I painted the fiberglass deck and engine box with a 2 part epoxy paint last summer and it did not hold up. The UV tore the finish up, you can rub yopur hand arcoss the floor and it is chalky and the paint comes off in your hand. What is the best type of paint to use on fiberglass? remember this is not a yacht quality finish, I dont want something too glossy that will show all my imperfections in my epoxy/gloss work. I would like a paint that looks nice but I dont need a mirror finish.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Good old "Porch and Deck" enamel. Buy some good quality stuff from your local paint store. It costs less the marine and wears about the same.