hard dodger

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Chuck Losness, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

It's time to replace my existing dodger on my Gulfstar 37. I like the existing shape. So I plan to use the existing frame to support a hard top with cloth sides and vinyl windows. After considering a bunch of different ways to make the hard top and the available materials here in Mexico I have decided to make the top out of 2 layers of 1/8" plywood covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxy, then painted. The most weight the dodger would have to support is 3 solar panels.
    My question for the forum is what other types of glue besides epoxy can I use to glue the 2 layers of plywood together. I have thought of using titebond 3 and have read the thread on that glue. Would it work in my application? It has also been suggested to use contact cement or construction adhesive like liquid nails. Any other suggestions?
    Any advice on clamping pressure would also be appreciated. If needed I can just screw the layers together while the glue goes off and then remove the screws before applying the fiberglass and epoxy.
    Thanks for your assistance.
    Chuck
    SV Hale Moana
    currently in Puerto Escondido, BCS, Mexico.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.