mesh sails

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Collin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Collin

Collin Senior Member

(newb question)

What is the purpose of adding mesh to a sail :confused:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The constant problem with sails is stretch, so many methods have been tried to reduce this. Weaving different fabrics to take advantage of physical properties, laminating different materials together, possably in a load path orientation, meshes, exotic fabrics, etc. all have been tried with various degrees of success and cost.

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

4. Collin

Collin Senior Member

I know about composite sails, but I bought a sail sold as dacron/mesh not knowing what that meant. Once I get the sail, half of it is dacron, the other is soft open mesh...open like mesh you'll find in light jackets. It's open like the screens on your windows. So it's totally unusable as a sail o_O

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Things like that have been used for display at boat shows and for advertising.

6. Collin

Collin Senior Member

So why are people selling them as sails and not advertising signs :mad:

Guess I should know what I'm buying before I buy it :rolleyes:

Thanks

7. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Because they had them, wanted rid of them, and went by what Barnum said.

8. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I would have to see the way the mesh panels are arranged, but it is possible someone had the idea to allow certain areas to "bleed" air from one side of the sail to the other to prevent stalling the sail, or to allow higher pointing into the wind.

It also might be possible someone thought that using a mesh panel down low improves safety by allowing a window in the sail to improve visibility. Though that would seem silly to me, because the window does not provide any sail area they might as well just cut out the fabric and leave a hole in it for a window.

Do you have pictures of the mesh on the sails? See it might help us understand the design intent.

Does the manufacturer advertise the sail this way, and what benefits to they claim?

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The mesh on display sails is to create less wind resistance. It will be less likely to capsize the boat on the trailer or make the boom swing and hurt someone.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.