Handrail on trawler

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by searoamer7, Nov 4, 2013.

1. searoamer7

searoamer7 Junior Member

I am building a 36ft trawler for my personal use only, Anyone know the height (deck to top of rail) that my handrails should be around the boat.
    Thks,

2. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

DNV standard is 750 mm above deck level for commercial fishing vessels.

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

There are different standards for commercial vessels and private ones. It has been a while since i looked a boating standards, but I can tell you that on construction of land based buildings a guard rail height has to be 36" on residential buildings and 42" on commercial and public buildings, stairs and decks.

That seems like a reasonable place to start. Don't you have a Navel Archect that designed your plans you can ask?

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If the hand rail hits you above the hip joint socket, you're likely to be okay. On an average height person, this is 34", but most feel better with more height. Building for personal pleasure use means, placing where you feel most comfortable.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

SOLAS standards are 1.0m. The spacing between bars/wire is also controlled. Unless of course if you have a full height bulwark!

So, if you're not fussed with complying with international standards, just do as PAR notes.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Resale value would be better if they complied withe 39 3/8" benchmark.

7. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Passenger vessels call for 42" (1.07m) but that may look a bit high on a 36' boat. Walk around a marina and check out some other similar boats. My experience is never less than 30" (.76m) and always have grab rails handy.
    Also, if you cruise in the dark and have shiny stanchions that are in or near your sightline, you may need some means of making them dark(er) so they don't distract you. A friend made temporary sleeves of slit plastic pipe and slipped them over his stanchions.

8. searoamer7

searoamer7 Junior Member

Thanks for all the info, Anyone know what the ABYC standard is on this?

9. JSL

JSL Senior Member

You need ABYC H-41. Rails are variable - min is 24" but topsides 30" better you go through the standard in detail. There is also good material on grab rails, ladders etc.
    Any good marine surveyor should able to help you out in the details.

10. searoamer7

searoamer7 Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.