hand lay up of coracell m foam

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Tungsten, Apr 15, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Waste not want not !!.

Peel ply is a light weight woven material almost like what raincoats are made from its gets rolled down over the top of the wet out fibreglass !!because The weave of the material is not sealled the excess resin will come up through the material and the material will hold the fibreglass in a semi compressed state .
    So no the timber yard will not know what the hell you are talkng about !!

It is easyer and quicker to wet out the foam well and lay the glass and roll it out and then lay the peel ply over the tiop and again roll with a paint roller and make sure its all wet looking then start in the middle and roll with a hard steel grooved roller and gently roll it out nicely to the edges . it pushes the layers against the foam and if theres any surplus resin it will come up to the surface and out onto the top of the peel ply .
    when you finished gently roll you paint roller all over and it will sop up the surplus it should look almost shiney all over when you finished !! And no there should not be bubbles any where in the totall lay up , when you checked the job and if you have any resin left over go roll it onto a sheet of ply or another part of the boat that will need glassing sometime !! :p

1 person likes this.
  2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Also, I'll add that it is much easier to use 24oz biax than doing a double lamination of 12oz.

If you have not bought all the glass yet, I would switch over.

3. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

what about the consistency of the frosting?syrup like or thicker?

4. CatBuilder

Mine was frosting like, not syrup or glazing like. Just like chocolate frosting on a birthday cake. Didn't find it was better than neat epoxy though.

5. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

so pretty thick then, mayonnaise like. i can't stand cake so haven't been in contact with any lately.

now pie's i can relate too.

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Well done - that's the sort of help we need around here. :)

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

When they say frosting, that implies drier than mayonnaise. It should be movable but stiff.

If you have the luxury of making all layups horizontally, then 'frosting' may not be as important. Its when you have to laminate uphill or (gasp) overhead that the initial sticky layer is critical, as the resin will migrate with gravity without that thickened layer.

8. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

wow so thicker then mayo,so you're gluing the first layer down then wetout.

so did another test piece mixed up some frosting spread it out then i let it sit a few minutes.pored on some neat, lots this time.layed the glass soaked it again spread it around then let sit again.i watched to see if it was soaking down and yes it was.i spread out somemore ,layed another layer of glass and more resin let it soak again for 5 min. rolled it out with the steel roller to make sure no bubbles.there was resin on the surface after all this so it has to be soaked,i hope.

if this doesn't work.i'm going back to wood!

so i layed 80 grams of glass, i used 39 grams of frosting and 117 of resin.

9. Ismotorsport

Ismotorsport Junior Member

Appreciate the thread.... I am going to be laying the core cell over a male plug after the inner skin is laid on. Any advice on thermoforming the foam to the male mold? I have been told the new m foam is more heat resistant than previous versions. What types of heat equipment are people using to bend 3/4" m80 foam?

Some pics from few weeks ago of progress on plug... Plug was covered with mat and finished with gelcoat for nice "popping off" finish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Ismotorsport

Chamfer panels

Will be adding a temporary chamfer panel extension on the male plug which should allow for easier and stronger joint for bridge deck attachment... Bumping up to 1.25" m80 core cell here. What did you use here cat builder?

[​IMG]

11. CatBuilder

I used 1" m100, or will, once I do that join. My bridgedeck is not on yet.

How many of these boats are you making?

12. Ismotorsport

Just one boat is planned at moment. That might change if I get this project moving and some of the local guys like what they see...:)

[​IMG]

13. CatBuilder

Ah, I thought it sounded like a company. The employees, the type of mold, etc... Good luck with it

14. Ismotorsport

Nah.. Just hiring the big laminate parts of project out to guys who have experience... Can't really afford any errors, plus always nice to have someone to scream at if it all goes to hell. :)

15. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

K back at it again,this is the same piece i was busting up last time post#53
    i had a 4x5 piece left that has cured now over a week.i had to dig a knife into the edge to get my pliers under to lift the glass and pull a little.i had to clamp down one edge as it took a lot of force to rip off the 2 layers of 12oz glass all at once.

[​IMG]

you can see the impression of the 0 90 in the neat
    [​IMG]

the top area with the foam stuck on is from the crack on the other side. the foam on the right is from my knife were i started to pull.
    so i guess as force is applied the foam is breaking loose first ,looks to be how deep the first coat went?? not sure.
    [​IMG]

the underside of the glass.
    [​IMG]

thoughts?