140mt UAE conversion fit out project

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by swabbie, Oct 19, 2008.

1. swabbie

swabbie Previous Member

For those CONSIDERING a job in Dubai, a famed (infamous) celebrated international interiors fit out company of palaces and yachts is seeking professionals to work on a 140mt luxury yacht (Swift Frigate conversion in Abu Dhabi).
    For those considering the positions BE AWARE the company offering the jobs has a record of completely UNSCRUPULOUS dealings with staff.

:mad: :mad:

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I had suspected that... :eek:

3. Gypsie

Gypsie Randall Future by Design

Worked for them some years ago, a learning curve to say the least.

4. Russian

Russian Junior Member

examples

can you give examples of what they have done please ?
    what some people think is terrible , others may not.

5. oi oi

oi oi Junior Member

Russian, i could not agree more with You!!!!!!

6. swabbie

swabbie Previous Member

Fair enough request

These are just a few exsamples

Company misleads applicants by offering big salaries in ads then reduces on contract.
    Promises A accommodation instead you get B (not good)
    Insists on 6 month notice period but will sack staff and out on the street same day.
    Staff sacked on the spot for refusing to accept abusive behaviour or unreasonable demands.
    Contract paid hrs are 48h/pw but staff work min 55hrs.
    Key expat staff are being forced to sign 18month non resignation contracts or get dismissed.
    Female expat staff had passports held to prevent going on leave or leaving UAE.
    Staff entitled vacations refused in company interest
    Salary increases are promised never paid.
    Sacked staff are forced to leave accommodation, their bank accounts closed and release form with held
    No bank account in UAE means expats cant rent apmt or lease vehicle non release means you can't leave the country so your stuck.
    If you leave UAE without release signed you are banned 5 yrs from re entry.
    Expat staff resignations at 90% over 6month period.

How long do you think an Aussie biz would last pulling these stunts, consider there are no unions here, labour laws are ignored.
    In this region locals and money are the controllers and don't get caught bonking on the beach!

7. oi oi

oi oi Junior Member

Swabbie,
    I am sure that it is true to say with starting any job anywhere in the world and taking on a position and signing a contract between 2 parties the onus is solely on each party to document their terms and conditions.
    Believe me I have work abroad for many years and I have signed some dumb terms and conditions, but that was my choice.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that with most things in life we need to know and be responsible for and fully understand what we are taking on when we sign a contract.
    Also we have the choice to amend/change/add to a contract what one may wish.
    I worked in the UAE some years back and used the UAE labor department to settle a dispute.
    I will say they were fantastic in sorting my dispute out within two day. Yes and I covered all my bridges in my contract that’s all they wanted to see.

I blame in nearly all cases expats seeing $$$$$$ but they have absolutely no idea of what they are taking on or let alone what they know about signing or drawing up a contract.
    If we don’t know what we are accepting or signing for my suggestion would be to stay in ones comfort zone.
    We will get screwed one way or another the size of the screw thread is what matters.

8. swabbie

swabbie Previous Member

oioi
    Yo man, thats precisely my point. I make the effort to warn people because like you I've been posted overseas (42yrs) in good, bad, bloody awful and 'hardship' postings with military, private and gov projects and met some really unprepared guys not able to adjust, others that ended up working for some real bad arse types that I had to salvage and put on a plane.
    Some out there may disagree but if I think something stinks I'll warn people...

9. Gypsie

Gypsie Randall Future by Design

At the end of the day the company in question produces brilliant work, sure I had problems trying to talk them out of fitting out yachts with MDF but the design and the finished product was second to none.
    It was my first time to the Middle East when I hooked up with this mob and sure there was false promises, unbelievable labour contracts, they kept my passport and they did business in a way that was totally alien to me. The big mistake I made was to stick to my guns and not "go with the flow"
    I look back on my time with them as an adventure, crikey what a line up of characters. Just have to get your head around how they do business.
    My mother made me promise when I was a small boy " Son" she said "promise me you will never join the circus" I broke that promise when I hooked up with that mob.

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Well guys, I personally think that money is important but the dignity must come first. I would never work for people which would pretend to seize my passport. That thing alone would be enough to make all my alarm bells go off.

11. Russian

Russian Junior Member

Thanks

Thankyou all for the detailed reply's.
    I guess everyone see's things differently , and as you say , if you "go with the flow" , things are always easier.
    Taking a passport is a bit full on , I dont think I would be doing that.
    The points you make about being offered big salaries , then getting less , being sacked on the street the same day , working 55 hours a week , vacations cancelled due to company interest and promised salary increases are all points that you could say about many companies throughout the world.
    I know , Ive worked for them here in Australia.
    With things like dodgey contracts , if you doont like it , dont sign it and leave.
    If the place is that bad , Im sure you waill not be back in 5 years time anyway. As long as you are smart and organise your tight contract from the start , you should be ok , and if youre not happy dont sign and dont go.
    I appreciate all your advice , its all good knowledge to have and as you say , to inform people that things are done differently over there is very important.
    Some people can handle change and adapt, some cant.
    Can I ask , is this just with the interior fit out company that is involved in the Abu Dhabi Swift projects or is it with other parts of design and build on these yachts as well ? Is this company anything to do with Abu Dhabi Mar ?
    I am an electrical/mechanical designer interested in working on the Swift project yachts.
    Thanks for the beach bonking tip as well !!

12. swabbie

swabbie Previous Member

Hey Gypsie, couldn't have summed it up better myself

Russian, from what I have been hearing the whole project is a bit scary. The feedback I'm getting from several directly involved is major concerns with planning/programing. The funding is good, its a problem of logistics and location. There is also some concern re. the veracity of the project managment and feasibilty of the build.

My thoughts 'if it was a racehorse I would take my money to the dog race'.

13. Russian

Russian Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks again for the invaluable advice and tips.
    Will see what happens.
    Another subject , do you think this global "credit crunch" will affect the luxury yacht industry quickly or at all ?

14. swabbie

swabbie Previous Member

Hi Russian,

The credit agonies haven't impacted on biz in the Eupoean/Middle East region at all.
    Our current total of yachts in build is $280mil - 7 hulls 36mt to 60mt.

My current superyacht build program includes 2 x custom 36 & 44mt my, L46/05 Mangusta Leopard and 47mt Explorer/shadow vessel with 3 more in negotiation with yards.

UAE Gulfcraft big hulls are booked out till 2011, USA sales are increasing with lower $ rate.
    We are getting increasing number of requests for Due Diligance surveys of yards for both buyers and capital investors looking to park funds in growth industry but also 'value add' to resort/pleasure industry portfolios that include marinas (also a growth industry).

Commercial small vessel builds in oil gas industry are booming with 640hulls under 80mts currently waiting to begin building. Super yachts are much the same. One US company took orders for 6 hulls over 30mts at one ME show. Trinity, Vitters, Rodriguez, Rodriguez Group, Wally, Sunseeker staff were all smiling at Monaco this year.

All the indictors I see are super yachts are a very safe bet and will continue so...my tip would be invest in refit yards in the future, those boys are going to be busy.

15. Russian

Russian Junior Member

Ex-oceanfast

Hi Swabbie.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Do you work for a yacht builder or are you a yacht representative ?
    I am very keen to work in the superyacht industry overseas ie UAE or Europe.
    I am a electrical/mechanical designer from Oceanfast.
    Any suggestions ?
    I have had some contact with Palm Marine in UAE and also Imtech (electrical system designers working on the Swift project).
    Can you tell me if you know these companies please ?
    I was offered a position at Sunseeker , but they wont emply people who need a work permit.
    Anyway , nice chatting to you.
    Thanks again.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.