hammerton paint

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by metin_mehel, Nov 16, 2011.

1. metin_mehel

metin_mehel mech.eng.

Hi,
    I mad an epoxy coated beach type small boat. I painted it with acrylic primer. For the final coat I would paint it with acrylic car paint. But some peoples suggest me hammerton paint would be more resistant to water. What do you think about this? Thank you.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You mean Hammertone I think. This coating is what you might see on a micrometer body. I used to use Hammertone paint quite a bit, the type that is available from a can, a one-part paint.
    I don't know if it works well in water but I know it's also available as a two-part formulation.
    Probably, the two-part will hold up pretty well. The single-part spray can formulation is rather brittle so it's easily damaged.
    Either is impossible to blend in when repairing.
    Very impractical to keep such a surface up perfectly due to difficulty blending in when those inevitable scratches occur.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most of the hammer finishes I've seen are single part polyurethanes, though I'm sure an LPU is available too. I'd be worried about a compatibility issue with an acrylic primer and a solvent based top coat. Unless the primer was one of the new water based epoxy formulations, like that from System Three, then I'd stick with recommend top coats. Contact the primer manufacture and see what they have to say, but I can tell you they'll recommend their own top coats first (naturally), though an honest tech will offer other brands as well.

4. metin_mehel

metin_mehel mech.eng.

-

Do you mean hammertone paint may not be compatible with ac. primer?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, I'd worry that an acrylic primer might have difficulty with a single or two part polyurethane, of course depending on the resin formulation, vehicle, etc.