Bonding Material

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by heliguy02, Jun 1, 2009.

1. heliguy02

heliguy02 Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    I am building a small wood boat with a Yamaha jetski engine and pump drive.
    I cut the bottom of the jetski hull out to fit into the bottom of my boat. I am trying to find a good bonding material that will help seal and bond the fiberglass jetski hull to the bottom of my plywood boat. It will be screwed in place also so the material will be more of a sealer than a bonder. I am looking for stuff that is like what the jetski manufactures use to bond their hulls together. If any of you have seen this stuff, it is REAL strong, but stays semi rigid. It does not dry hard and brittle, but it is harder than just window caulk.
    Anyone got any suggestions on what I can use and where to get it?
    Thanks, Tony

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Epoxy, epoxy, epoxy. You don't want a sealant, you want to bond it solidly. Epoxy and fabric, preferably biax.

Duplicate post . . .

3. rbrooks

rbrooks Junior Member

Absolutely, epoxy. there are some other bonding agent that will work but epoxy is the best, most available, and most novice friendly. If you seal the wooden part with glass and resin,(epoxy or other) you can bond with a methacrylate glue like plexus or IPS Weld On and several others. These are the types of glue used to build jet skis and even large boats these days. Good luck

4. PAR

Again, epoxy. Nothing, no adhesive comes close to the performance of it in this application.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Agreed. Epoxy!

6. heliguy02

heliguy02 Junior Member

Epoxy huh? Ok I am glad I asked. I thought a semi flexable bonding adhesive would have been the way to go, but this is my first attempt at doing this so that is why I get advice from the experts.
    Thanks guys,
    Tony

7. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Epoxy yes, but not only
    an army research on hull strength to explosions showed that best solution was to first polyurethane glue especially on the sides then over it epoxy as told.
    Polyurethane will absorb vibrations and help flexibility before rupture
    and any intrusion in wood of bolts or other foreign object is done only with epoxy, polyurethane will not stop water, wood will be rotten.

8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Thats what flexible engine mounts are for.. so epoxy:D

9. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

There are plenty of flexible epoxy adhesive formulations on the market. Some, like 3M's 2216 are toughened with a CTBN rubber compound. This adhesive exhibits over 100% elongation before breaking.

The word 'Epoxy' covers a wide range of products with varied cured-state properties from extremely hard, with high UTS but brittle all the way to soft and rubbery with moderate strength but outstanding toughness and resistance to breakage.

A laminating resin will work as a glue, but is not optimized for that use. The opposite is true for a 'glue' type epoxy; you could laminate with it in a pinch, but that's certainly not its best use.

Jimbo

10. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Yes of course, but this principle allows you to work with low grade products, easy to find and low cost, (this system is also terrific for omega inside hull)
    PS: (Low grade = basic, low cost std epoxy & polyurethane)

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

What please is: "omega inside hull" in your opinion?

So, at the end: ...................EPOXY! and only Epoxy.

12. M-Sasha

M-Sasha Guest

Where do you think is the "easy to find, low cost" substitution for Epoxy Mr. smart alec?
    If the experts here, PAR, Ike, Apex, say Epoxy for this application, then it is Epoxy. period

Sasha

13. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Teddy, to filter the wider range of vibrations it is always more efficient to diversify the materials and have different absorbing level, on several layers, the polyurethane core inside epoxy is a very effective solution to absorb energy.

Apex an sasha
    No problemo
    I do not care to a point you cannot imagine...Do like you feel
    And i do, like i do for many years, as the IFREMER and French army research lab, advice.
    Try to be happy and have good time

14. PAR

Nothing against your research Kistinie, but your statement "it is always more efficient to diversify the materials and have different absorbing level, on several layers" flies in the face of the engineering principles involved in the tasks Heliguy02 is attempting.

This exact process has been preformed before and it basically boils down to bonding a GRP part to a wooden part. Mixing dissimilar materials in the joint is just asking for more trouble then necessary. From an engineering view point, you just want a solid, water tight bond, of sufficient strength to exceed the physical limitations of the two adhered materials, which is easily achieved with epoxy and some fabric.

Vibration wouldn't be consideration as the new, resulting structure would be homogenous in nature. Devices are already in place to handle any of the mechanical or airborne vibrations that may be present and both materials are capable of tolerating both.

15. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

It is not "my" research, i do like this for a long time with great success.
    i never said the full epoxy only does not work and is not a good solution
    I speak of a core inside fully covered.epoxy part for extra strength.

Ok "often" is better than "always" about vibrations, i agree you can always have exceptions, in general heterogeneous materials enlarge vibration frequency spectrum absorption capacity.
    Compare a fresh egg and a cooked hard one, and make it turn or vibrate.

In fact if i were you, i would have try to learn more, to ask more questions about this solution rather than say a kind of no. Its a choice, i respect it.
    So, once again sorry to have disturbed, and do like you feel :)
    Arrivederci !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.