Half built fiberglass hull

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jameshogan, Sep 19, 2005.

1. jameshogan

jameshogan Junior Member

I recently came across an old half done hull that someone ran out of money and never finished. It was the last of a semi production boat. The hull is done, the stringers (mahogany) are in place and the bulkheads (marine ply)are also. Its been in a storage shed for about 15 years on a stand. It looks fine, like it was just popped from the mold yesterday. Bulkheads look fine and are not rotten or anything bad I can see. Im thinking of purchasing it and finishing it, but not sure what really what to look for in terms of something being bad from sitting. I really think I have no worries, but figure an expert opinion would be helpful here. Anyone want to chime in?

Thanks
    James Hogan

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Take your time James. Walk round a couple of times. Has the keel sagged; are there any suspicious bulges where bulges shouldn't be. Walk around again squinting along the lines, are there any blemishes, pimples or star shaped cracks, are there any hairline stress cracks. Tap your way around to check the glass is of even thickness the whole length through, or better still clamber inside to inspect against a bright light or sunshine on the outside. Look for 'thin' patches.
    If all seems OK, try and discover why the original owner 'lost heart'. And will the same reason breaks yours also.
    And before you make a deal check that the plans, and materials for completion are still available - unless you feel confident enough to ad-lib.
    Otherwise - as we say down under - "go for it..." :cool:

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Ditto what Bergalia says, plus the bilges may have sagged and/or the whole boat may be distorted from living on those stands for a decade and a half.

The other issues I'd want you to look into before purchase are: the construction of a hull like this accounts for a small percentage of the total outlay of cash and effort to build (5%to 10%) and complete a yacht - are you prepared for this? Are any examples of the finished version of this design available for inspection, are plans obtainable? Remaining structural members, engine, drive, electrical, plumbing, deck, rig, hardware, sails, interior furnishings, etc. all need to be worked out in similar fashion of the original or a designer will be needed to do some calculations for you, so she'll float with the cabin facing up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.