Dave Martin design 40'

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kapnD, Nov 8, 2006.

1. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

My fishing/boatbuilding pals all pass around copies of Professional Boatbuilder, and the most dog-eared page is an article on Dave Martin's 40' Trendsetter. In this age of skyrocketing fuel prices, economy fishboats are on everyones mind. (You can find the article on their website www.proboat.com sorry, I dont know how to link it) The boat gets 2.46 kmpg @15.5 knots cruise on a single 221 shp Volvo straight shaft drive and 20.5 knots wot. Impressive performance as this boat was built in the 70's, so its no carbon fiber/kevlar lightweight, in fact it looks pretty heavy with an aft cabin cruiser setup.
    I'm envisioning a commercial/sportfishing setup with two moderate 4-cylinder diesels on this hull.
    I'd like to doodle with the design, but cant find any study plans on the net. Does anybody know where I could find such?

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Why don't you try contacting the designer?

3. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Yes, thats the idea, guess I didnt state myself plainly enough. I cant find any listings for Dave Martin or Trendsetter or Valley Boat Works after several searches. I did send an inquiry to the publisher of the article, but have not gotten a reply. I read here frequently and recognize that the people who make up this forum represent veritabe encyclopedias of information, so thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction, or might even have some input on the topic...

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I don't know how to contact him directly, but I gather he's still at Ocean Yachts. They have a general contact email on their website.

5. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

You can reach David Martin at:

306 23rd St. South
    Brigantine, NJ 08203
    Tel: (609) 266-8950
    email: bigdavepc@aol.com

This comes from the SNAME membership directory. I have worked a little bit with David in the past.

Regards,

Eric

6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Thanks much Eric!
    would still like to hear from someone who has practical experience with this hull.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.