Had to abandon ship. Won't start!

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by KnottyBuoyz, May 8, 2008.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

1987 Sunray Mirage, Volvo Penta AQ271A w/290 DP OD.

Went for a lil' cruise upriver tonight like we usually do. Stopped to bbq some burgers. Went to restart, nothing. Never had this happen before. :confused:

First a few electrical gremlins have seemd to have inhabited the boat. On the way upriver couldn't get the drive to trim up. Down, yes, up, no. Weird. I tugged a few wires under the dash and it started working again. Weird.

It got too dark to see standing on my head in the bilge so we tied the boat up on the canal bank and called my Dad to pick us up.

So, by process of elimination I'm leaning towards starting at the engine controls maybe the problem with the trim is related to the neutral safety switch in the controller (which is only a yr old BTW). I can bypass the neutral safety to see if that's the issue, easy 'nuff. If that's not it then I'm thinking starter relay. That's easy to get at. I've got a spare to swap out. If that's not it then it's probably the starter solenoid. That's a PITA. I don't know if I can get the solenoid off the starter w/o removing the starter which means jacking up the engine. I might try to jump start it at the solenoid first.

Is there anything else I can check before trying to get the solenoid out?

Oh yeah, others have told me to check all the ground connections.

2. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

Not entirely sure, but would def check all the connections, and possibly isolate the starter switch itself. I have had those go bad before, and went through everything else before I even thought to check that.

3. KnottyBuoyz

Followed the diagnostic guide DonS provided on another bulletin board (which shall remain nameless).

Step 1: Cleaned all the ground connections between battery and engine block. No go.

Step 2: Checked voltage from ign switch start terminal, good 12.45 volts. Tried to start, no go.

Step 3: Bypass neutral safety switch (ensuring lever in neutral) BINGO!

It's nice to have some logical steps to follow through the troubleshooting process. I had a similar approach thought out starting at the ign switch and working my way back. It's also nice to be able to see what you're doing 'cause couldn't find a flashlight. Last year we were tripping over them! Duh!

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Maybe the battery is dead. I didn't read anything you wrote to indicate you checked this by horn or lights or meter.

Alan

5. KnottyBuoyz

Hi Alan

Plenty of juice so I knew it wasn't that. We had the stereo & fridge running and I think the first thing I checked was the voltmeters on the breaker panel. I did try cross connecting the house & starter batteries and nadda.

Time to tear apart a new (1 yr old) controller to see what's going on. I'm suspecting some wiring issues between the neutral safety & trim wires. Possibly rubbing or binding that wore away the isolation on the wires.

6. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

I once had to jump the damn nuetral safety switch on my 270 controller because it just decided to die one day. I used my bait knife to touch the points while I fired her up....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.