Hacker hull: No deadrise >> A little more

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sands, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Sands

Sands Junior Member

This is a long, long term project that is really just a lunch hour hobby right now. I have the loftings for John Hacker's White Cap. A 25', 1930's classic runabout design. I've ported them into Freeship to check the fairness of the hull (published numbers are actually pretty good. Just a 1/8" here, 1/4" there for correction - certainly close enough to compensate for on a lofting table). I've already done a trial porting into Pro/E via IGES for creation of rib profiles and patterns.

The specific question is around deadrise. The as-published loftings have a 0* deadrise at the transom. A variety of sources seam to indicate that between 5* and 7* is just fine to smooth out the ride and not be too detrimental to power requirements. Remember this is an inland lake boat, not intended for open water.

Freeship indicates the longitudinal center of buoyancy moves aft by about 4". For a 25' boat, this seams to be inconsequential. If/when I get around to actually cutting wood, all I'd do is probably put in a bigger gas tank to compensate and maybe move the engine aft a few inches. Any comments?

Is there any way to check the planing trim of the hull?

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

So it's not a Hacker sledge, with negative deadrise?

3. Sands

Sands Junior Member

No, the "White Cap"

4. Raggi_Thor

Sorry, that was Hickman... :(

5. Raggi_Thor

Well, my opinion is that in protected waters and modest speed a flat bottom in the after part is OK.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.