How close is a bateau to a solo skiff ?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by AussieCraig, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AussieCraig

AussieCraig New Member

Been looking at the SK14's and wondering if anyone has actually ridden in both these and a solo skiff to compare the 2 ? Id love a solo skiff but cant justify the $...and would like to build my own if the 2 are at least comparable in performance...

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Can you be a bit more precise about which designs you're referring too?

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

So what is it you want ?

The bateau onse look good. They are both 14 ft, solo etc

I don't understand what you need ?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I thought he was trying to compare the Swift Solo (International) with something.

A quick look at the specs suggests the Solo is a little heavy for its length and this is likely the build method, as the Bateau is beamer, yet lighter. Conversely, the Solo will likely be a bit easier to pole or paddle around, because it's a bit narrower. It's probable the Bateau is faster and can take a bigger engine.

As to which is best, well this is a judgment call the OP and needs to debate, based on what he needs most. Craig, what are your priorities in this style of boat?

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The Solo is a rotary molded plastic skiff. It has squat boards. I will give it a plus point for that feature because of the static trim factor. I saw one of these at the local kayak dealer store. Well thought out details, will probably withstand abuse a little, or a lot, better than the wooden SK14. I do not recall the price but it was not cheap. That said, I would more likely fall in love with the wooden boat more so than the Tupperware one. If I were mainly a fisherman rather than merely a boat nut I'd go for the plastic one. In either case the unusually low free board, of either of them, is not to my liking for use in anything other than flat water.

7. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

Hi Aussiecraig,

For what it is worth, I have been playing with this class of boat a little. In short , I have not used either boat you mention, but both cropped up during my research.
    The other one that I liked a lot was the Pelican Ambush skiff Home | Ambush Skiffs http://www.ambushskiffs.com/
    Lately, a company close to where I live (Stealth) has started to produce something similar UNO Skiff - Light, versatile and fun for all ages - Stealth Kayaks http://stealthkayaks.co.za/kayak-range/uno-skiff/
    There are some nice videos made by Rokkit kit on youtube, which nicely demonstrates their use in your waters

My attempt is the Drifter skiff ( Drifter skiff https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/drifter-skiff.57009/ ), of which a whole one has been built (it is standing in my workshop.) I love this boat, and hate it. It has provided me with a great deal of entertainment, and I enjoyed building and using it.

It has also disappointed me bitterly, and I think potential users of this class of boat has to be very careful to not extend the regime of use beyond what it was intended for. It is a flats boat, and is going to throw you off when used at sea, sooner or later. I am in the process of building an ama for mine to take the chance of capsizing away almost completely.
    It suffers from rapidly decreasing stability when used with two people up, and that is important to remember. Even with one person up, your body mass represents a large portion of total buoyed mass, and is by definition not in a constant position (you move around , especially when starting to lose your balance.) It is therefore my belief that these boats should be approached like "wet" boats or surfboards/SUP's. Tether everything that does not float, wear you lifejacket, and put that killswitch lanyard on your arm!

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Don't like it, one of those big Great Whites only needs to give it a decent nudge, and you will be the live bait !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.