Guo Chuan team set off on record attempt through North East passage

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

2. milo12

milo12 Junior Member

North East Passage.

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

East - West whatever :). Thanks for the catch you are quite right it should read the northeast passage.

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

They made it.

From the article:

After 13 days' racing on the treacherous waters of the North East Passage for 3240nm, Qingdao China, led by Chinese skipper Guo Chuan, finally crossed the finish line on the Bering Strait at 16.48 UTC September 15, Guo Chuan and his five crew from Germany,France and Russia made it! For the very first time in history, a racing trimaran sailed non-stop successfully through the Arctic Ocean North east passage from Murmansk to Bering Straits.

http://www.guochuansailing.com/en/news_detail.php?id=168

6. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

A very sad record....

Yes, the Trimaran "Qingdao China " is a beauty (former IDEC)... But there is a big But !
    [​IMG]

It is a very "sad record".... here is nothing to celebrate or chear up in my understanding.
    [​IMG]

Guo Chuan's success clearly shows what human race has destroyed over last two centuries and especially in the times of high industrialisation during 20th century. Chuan sailed through an ice free zone which is very "unnatural" for this region. Climate warming is so obviously.

The only respect I have for, that this "no name skipper" from China has recognized his own conflict he is in with his doings. Citiation:

So he is very aware about the problems we as human race have created... and that's what we have to learn from, very urgently. We have to stop our egoism of self realisation. Its a totally nonsense to give huge applaus to his record.

(Rec.: I wonder why this record should be recognized officially, as it is a time-distance-speed record. Regularly for such records no technology for automated steering is allowed. But the crew is using an auto pilot, which can be read on Guo Chuan's blog on 9th Sept 2015. Citiation: "Since we can do nothing but leave the trimaran to our "seventh crew": the auto pilot.")

I don't like the slogan this crew sailed under given flag "Peace and Sport" by patronage of Prince Albert of Monaco. Empty words...

How can this slogan and new record be something positive (as no single refugee which is coming these days (from war areas e.g. Syria) within a tremendous flood to Europe neither will notice of this campaign nor will get benefit from) ? - That slogan on a trimaran racing boat in an Arctic region is not logically (I see this from marketing side). I only undersign the "sub title": Be part of what matters. But same here: why an arctic record attempt ? Doesnt make sense as we humans have tremendous problems which really matter to be dealt with.
    [​IMG]

Take a look at the UNOSDP (United Nations Office on Sport for Development and Peace) to understand how to combine sport with peace, see UNOSDP @ Facebook.

So what has an "Arctic Ocean Record" to do with "peace & sport" ? In my understanding: Nothing... as I have not found one single statement from the crew, e.g. to stop exploring the Arctic regions e.g. for oil drilling which will create huge ecologically problems. The warnings already had been given...
    http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/where_we_work/arctic/what_we_do/oil_gas/

What would have made sense in these days ? - Chuan should have sailed symbolically in the eastern part of Mediterranean front Turkey - Syria - Lebanon and Irsael coast to give a clear message as "peace maker" being close to war zones.

We sailors have to be critically against our own passion and what we love to avoid bigger mistakes.

Sailing is a sport for people with smartness. But I dont see lots of smartness in 21st century on the water on board of sail racing boats... more I see that sail racing became a business since the late 90th with million budgets... hunting like mad behind new speed records, and being decided by business men and marketing CEOs of big concerns for maximizing their profits by expanding media coverage (or in the case of Guo Chuan's team: to make politics (via sports) for Chinese government). A totally wrong development in sail racing.

Sailing is not not only to know regatta rules, match racing or how to maintain a complicated rig or 3D sails and water makers, or repairing diesel engines and water pumps or navigate with different methods and use sail racing programmes and weather routing tools... and sail at 37 knots max. speed.

We all - hobby sailors, professionals etc. ... - have to overtake responsability for "mother nature" in a real form which is driven by authenticity straight forward to the problems we have to tackle.

P.S.: Something funny... the crew's way of playing cricket at "0 degree" water temperature (its just not really freeziing because of the salt).
    [​IMG]

7. semelis

semelis Junior Member

For years the melting of arctic ice have been denied by some, setting an official record sailing through a place that should be ice-barred seems a good way to shut up some and even to open some eyes.
    You do have a point in your criticisms, but despite of all the contradictions I think that this North East passage record is useful and better than doing nothing.

8. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

Semelis, I was so naive more than 30 year ago... that time I started to study economical engineering which targeted at to establish "ecological production processes in the companies". But nothing changed to something positive... I just like to remember Fracking... which is one of the most stupid way to explore energy ressources.

Sadly to say, all an illusion to think, that human man kind turns to something positive... all the upcoming countries, e.g. China and India... and soon the African countries will damage heavily planet earth by tremendously growth of populations. Because there are enough young and upcoming new enterpreneurs, corruptive politicians who are not driven by moral and ethics.

No, the mighty people do not learn... I know them. I know big politicians which is an elitaire cast on their own... dealing the big deals with industries and big bosses. More bigger, more better.

Power people wont learn from mistakes, they only look for new chances. And following generations pay the prize for it (just think about nuclear waste from nuclear power plants).

I look into the future and do following statement: This record already will show to money hunting people that the shorter sea way through the North East Passage will give new business options... as shorter sea distances means lower expenses of sea transportations.
    [​IMG]

Sadly it is not the future... Russia already promoted the "North East Passage" for businesses under the headline "Arctic Shipping"....
    http://www.spiegel.de/international...st-passage-through-arctic-ocean-a-917824.html

The risks are tremendously, citiation: "Toxic substances have a far greater impact here than at other latitudes because they are degraded very slowly," says physicist Marcel Nicolaus of the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in the northern German port city of Bremerhaven."

The hunger for money making is always "ego driven". Our school systems do not teach to young people how to give up own ego... herefor they'd have to live for 10 years as zen monks in Asian monasteries.

No, I dont think, that this "image campaign" will change people's mind into something positive. Instead it will hit us like a Boomerang.... and another area on our planet earth will be damaged and destroyed over next decades as this map show, pls click the attached thumbnail.

The Russian atomic icebreaker fleet which is under the direction of Rosatomflot, has the mission to follow: support the intensification of Arctic transit as a key factor in the rise and development of the Russian North. (Statement in 2012).

From this, the fleet of 7 icebreakers are used to patrol the so called "Northern Sea Route" (NSR), pilot (break ice for and guide) other transit ships under contract through required route segments, and assist with scientific expeditions. 1 of the 7 icebreakers (Sevmorput) is a container vessel.
    [​IMG]
    (Source: https://arcticecon.wordpress.com/tag/northern-sea-route/ )

The "political fight" already has begun... and maybe, thats the real intentions behind, why China finances such a "record attempt" to get more influence in that region. Who knows...

Read about 2013: "NORTHEAST PASSAGE : Chinese Cargo Ship Opens New Trade Route to Europe"
    [​IMG]

Diplomatic business is dirty business.... and this record attempt is part of as PR instrument of chinese government.

Attached Files:

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm not so sure that this record has much to do with opening up new transport options or oil exploration. They have been running large ships through and sabre rattling over resources for many years now. The only light I can see on the horizon is that renewable energy is carving it's own niche despite opposition from a number of sources.

The population problem is an interesting one. It has been proven that if you reduce child mortality in third world countries and provide them with some hope and education the number of children per family drops massively. So if people are willing to share their good fortune with those who have little things can change. Sadly it wont be governments who do this it has to be individuals because most governments have long ago sold out to corporate interests.

An interesting talk by Hans Rosling on the population issue and how to reduce it's impact:

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_on_global_population_growth

10. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

Relevant topics around sailing...

I appreciate it to know that we can talk in such a forum about political and social issues too, not only about the "happyness of sailing". :)

I am aware about that with such critical postings as I did some just like to run away and ingore the problems in this world. So its good to know we can have an open discussion about such issues, too.

Fatalistic we might say: the new shipping route via NEP will happen and being expanded, independently from a record attempt of a Trimaran in red. Probably so it is.

More here the relevant point is: "Do (we) sailors keep silent about ?" Or, as we do, start talking critically.... and more relevant:

"Do the top professional sailors overtake their duties as they have a responsability for mother nature ?"

They get well payed doing these jobs (and i dont count this record attempt as something really dangerous). And they get benefit from mother nature directly, even we know this nature is already a heavily sick patient.

So getting the payment from a Chinese government and/or sponsors, these guys on their expensive "fun toys" have to overtake the responsability for their doing. We just cannot address critics to politicans, to top managers... everybody has to do his/her part in the global village.

I suppose Guo Chuan could become a kind of sailing hero in China, or at least being counted as a pioneer in Chinese sail racing... and many million chinese kids admire him and some thousands want follow him to become a professional sailor on racing boats. Just because its cool what he is doing.

So such a single guy with all the ecological infrastructure he is (mis)using can have a positive or a negative impact. For now as I see it, in tendency more a negative one. As I miss the critical voices.

It seems that China actively pushes Sail racing as a kind of "embassador" as I know it from Korea and China in GO / Weiqi (eldest strategic board game in the world) they send professional GO players around the globe.

I shortly noticed, that the Chinese Yachtclub sponsors a US regatta under flag of NEMA (New England Multihull Association).... Its the Greenport Ocean Race, starting on 10th October in Greenport/NY.
    http://nemasail.org/racing.html

Tks... will check out.

Yes, education, income and wealthyness have a direct impact onto the birth rate... but same we can see how it goes in Western countries, e.g. in Germany and Japane... totally overaged societies which can no more bear the burdon as social welfare states, not paying the fully pensions anymore as they miss young generations to work for.

So birth rates at the size of 1.3 (e.g. Germany has) have a kind of suicidal effect onto such wealthy nations. Tricky...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.