Thinned Gelcoat with Xylene!

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Klink Sanford, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Klink Sanford

Klink Sanford Junior Member

I mistakenly mixed Xylene to thin no wax gelcoat then realized it, so I didn't use it. I put hardener in it to throw it away or use it as a paper weight ($ ouch!). This morning it was hard as a rock, and not sticky, thought I used no wax additive. It dried better than the new gelcoat that I actually applied. (All brush applied, no spraying.)

Could I have used it?

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

You’ve answered your own question.
    Now leave your paperweight out in the sun for a few years and report back !

3. Klink Sanford

Will do sir.

I'll put it on the silver roof of the barn, so it gets no shade breaks.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

If was in a container the mass generates good deal heat, so the cure is typically far better than if you spread it in a thin film on the surface of something.

Also, adding "thinners" to gel coat in more than a very small amount tends to do more harm than good.

What thinner did you plan to add?

5. Klink Sanford

I thought it was Styrene. I didn't add much Xylene, like 1 oz to the 27oz of gelcoat. I had acetone right in front of me, I could've added that had I realized I was putting in Xylene..

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Don't use styrene, it yellows terrible when exposed to the sun, but one ounce of anything isn't going to cause much of an issue, the xylene was probably fine. At 1 oz it won't have much effect on the sprayability either.

Acetone in small amounts is OK, but people don't frequently get the expected result, so they add more. A small amounts of Acetone will do a great job at lowering the viscosity in the spray gun, but as soon as it comes out of the gun much of the acetone is evaporates, so the leveling isn't improved much, this results in more being added, which ends up messing with the chemistry more you may want.

7. Klink Sanford

Ok, thank you very much for your advice.

8. mrdebian

mrdebian Junior Member

@ondarvr what is the recommended way of thinner gelcoat if you have to do it?

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

10. mrdebian

mrdebian Junior Member

@gonzo the problem with Duratec is that is impossible to find it where I leave, not even in the whole country. A German company that I found with stock doesn't ship it abroad.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.