Gunboat G4 with UptiP Foils

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, May 12, 2014.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I don't know how you measure success in the context of the G4? Is it fast for a cruiser or fast for a racing boat of it's length? Maybe we could compare it to multihulls of similar displacement as a measure. It's too bad that the F40 catamaran SOMA wasn't at the same racing events it would have given a good benchmark to measure against.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

G4

So far it's the only cruiser/racer that flies-and that, in and of itself, is a major measure of success! The fact that it does fly is quite significant from a design standpoint and illustrates that you can have a flying boat(if you want one) that isn't a barebones all-out raceboat. I think the direction foiling is heading is towards fun, easy to sail boats that also fly rather than flying boats designed only for top end speed.
    PS-Corley, what'd you think of Rudo?

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Love his blog, lots of interesting projects on there. I'm not hating on the G4 and I do applaud the design team for their work on a tricky brief.

4. coralislander

coralislander coralislander

Racer / cruiser trimarans

It's a Catamaran and Catamarans will not be popular as a racer / cruiser.

The direction will be with fast racer / cruiser trimarans all weather vessel designs that have accommodation / full galley and that can fast sail to wind ward and other sailing point angles.

The main hull being lifted by other foil design means to approx. 90% for moderate to heavy seas running with foiling capabilities when calm to moderate weather conditions allow, reaching with combination existing or new combination assisted foils for long ocean passages for cruising and racing. Retractable centre board, propulsion systems and rudders.
    The design will not be with large double berths with separate toilet / shower compartments , {which cause most cruising multihull to be heavy } or elaborate personal effects storage. Cabins with 4, 6 or even 8 single berths, two, three and four either side allowing the occupants to transfer to leeward for berth accommodation with the windward being used for storage [ ADJUSTABLE WITH LEE CLOTHES ] and / or all berths being used for accommodation with simple net type / net hammocks storage pockets, hooks with securing straps for individual personal gear travelling packs [ no provision for hard suitcases or mobile on wheels hard travel baggage ]. Cockpit designs being similar to MACIF and with dual helming positions with dual TWO single pipe berths for the watch crew on the aft crossbeams whilst on watch.

© Copyright 2016

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Is it ok to call this boat a market failure now? Sure there were about three units built between the F4 and G4 variants but it didn't set the performance sailing world on fire nor was there much interest in spartan cruising them. An interesting segway into a microscopic market segment is how it could be most charitably be described. I wonder how much money was lost on all that tooling? Millions?

6. OzFred

OzFred Senior Member

I think that call could have been made some years ago, not long after one capsized while foiling. It was entirely predictable, "foiling" and "cruising" are the antithesis of each other. Building a boat that met both criteria I guess was an achievement, but it was never going to be popular.

Corley likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.