Shockwave 37 History

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Eliseviv, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Eliseviv

Eliseviv Junior Member

Hi Peeps,

Having been a dyed in the wool mono sailor, a recent move to Darwin (from the Huon Valley in Tasmania) and exposure to extreme tides, shallow drafts, fun racing in an A Class, and a few modern 12mtr cruiser/racer cats I'm sold on cats.... at least up here!

Bought an old Shockwave 37, and a few posts on here seeking advice on some repair materials also revealed a little information enabling a few internet searches on the history of them. Anyone on this board have some specifics of plans, builders, racing incidents etc that these yachts had? I know of Miranda Hifi and Pumpkin Eater, were there others?

For me the shockwave I have will spend its days drifting about the Coburg Peninsula and Tiwi Islands, which will take a few years to get about!

Cheers

Brett

2. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

37s

I ran into Prowler once in my Twiggy - she was the old Pumpkin eater. Owned by Lach Percy in the 80s-90s. He sailed her around Botany Bay. He may still be involved in Kurnell cat club.

I think I saw that Peter Garden or Peter Kennedy got themselves a Fusion 40 and had it put together at Boatspeed. Check the fusion site and see if they will get you some contact details.

Keep it light and please don't put a huge doghouse on it. There is a 37 in Port Hacking that has had a well built but ugly cabin out on it along with retractable foils. I may be able to get some contact details if you need them

cheers

Phil

1 person likes this.
  3. Eliseviv

Eliseviv Junior Member

G'Day Phil,

Thanks for that,

Yes I saw your comments on this or another forum with that Twiggy anecdote :)

My Shockwave already has a reasonably well made doghouse on it, 5" head room, etc ec, but it doesnt fit either the purpose or style of the boat.

Im effectively going to remove the doghouse, leaving the rear harddeck, and make up a SS hoop/canvas dodger for weather protection /camping under, which can be folded flat for race day. I will then be able to lower the boom 2 feet - close to where it is supposed to be and have a new main made to fit this configuration. The existing main is old and tired (and short!) and Ive factored a new main into the costs of the boat.

The other shocker is that the whole boat is painted pink/purple (I mean the whole boat!!)........ so a fresh coat of gloss white will hit her as soon as I get a reskin completed over the next few months.

Ill chase up the Fusion web lead - Thanks.

Brett

4. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

The Shockwave 37 as originally drawn by Lock, is a very neat design - and congratulations Brett, you're pulling off most of the crude and ugly crap. Ugly accommodation on high performance designs ... I mean, those "improvers" who do such things should be whipped with salt soaked and knotted spectra.

5. Eliseviv

Eliseviv Junior Member

[​IMG]

A pick so I can rememeber how it looked before. Ill stick another on here in April, with sails set :)

6. basil

basil Senior Member

Jeez went for ugly and got it!!!

7. Eliseviv

Eliseviv Junior Member

Been doing a bit of epoxying, which of course you cant see in Macro view.... But 20 mins with a chain saw!

[​IMG]

It wasnt as much fun as I imagined as I had a feeling of regret as it was well made, but just doesnt suit what I wanted to do witht he boat. I am actually dreading the previous owners annoyance (dispair?) when he sees what I did to his labour of love :-(

[​IMG]

Going to make a set of hoops and a canvas dodger, just to create a bit of shade when the family is on board! and will fold down on race day.

Anyone have photos of similar set ups that may give ideas?

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The original owner may be annoyed by your changes but it looks 100% better allready! :D

9. Bruce Woods

Bruce Woods Senior Member

Keep cutting

Keep going. You haven't finished the job. I'm sure Lock never designed the boat to lug around anything but a light trampoline deck and tiller steering. Possibly why the beams failed in the first place.
    Have you weighed the bit youve cut off. I think you may be suprised at how little it weighs. How much does the deck/cabin structure you have left weigh. I suspect a lot more than the bit you removed. Just thinking.

10. Eliseviv

Eliseviv Junior Member

G'Day Bruce,

I hear you, but I want to actually use it this coming dry season, and the added expense of further destruction will leave it as a non runner for another year.

In April, Im dropping it in the bay with a fresh coat of glorious gloss white, in side and out. A dry season of use (and occassionally lifting a hull) will soon form new fractures in the paint, giving me some new ideas of what is required next year.

If I like it, Ill probably take it home to Tassie, and it would be too wet arsed (read cold!) without a rear hard deck! But the extra accommodation on deck was overkill as Ill never "live" on it, so Im removing the absolutely superflous.

3 or 4 seasons of fun and it will prove itself as being a sound day racer/weekend camper. And thats why I bought it. My boys will learn to love sailing in a yacht thats fast enough to excite (thrill?!) the juveneille mind, dry enough to keep my beloved involved. It all a balance.

When I want to get real wet, and real fast, Ill pull the A Class out :)

Cheers

Brett

11. Eliseviv

Eliseviv Junior Member

I agree :) A bit more tiding up ocurred today, and it lost the wind generator and associated tripping height SS rails!

12. Eliseviv

Eliseviv Junior Member

A quick update, after more fairing than I care to remember (and a few mistakes on my part) the first coat of white goes on.

Two more coats on the weekend after a rub with 600w&d and the paintings over.

Get the crane and throw it in the water!

[​IMG]

13. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

That looks so much better ! and the bile has stopped rising in my throat !

Wasn't Gavin Le Seurs D Flawless a shockwave ?

RR

14. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Actually , I reckon it looks a meter longer !
    RR

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Nice job! Good Luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.