F-41 (Farrier) design plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by saltifinch, Mar 24, 2016.

1. saltifinch

saltifinch Junior Member

I've sorta fallen in love with this boat the second I saw it, after weeks of searching. A few things I would change, but pretty spot on. The only problem is.... they stopped making it! And don't sell plans!

I'm not really sure what the policy on buying previously used plans is, or whether its a good idea. If it's just considered immoral in the boat building community, then I won't do it at all, and will try to contact the Farrier Marine and see what the options are. Any information, or plans for similarly designed boats would be most welcome.

Thanks!

P.S. Schionning is too expensive, especially considering the mods I would prefer. Easy Sarah is a close second that I have been thinking on, if the owner would permit changes.

2. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Go the cat

As much as I like tris I think you should build the Easy or Schionning. The plan price is going to be worth it in terms of resale alone - let alone the money saved by having good backup during the build. Tris have less room, are about the same expense to make and not such a good divided layout.

There may be a very good reason the designs do not incorporate the features you want. A friend of mine was amazed the designer of his cat did not like his modifications. He had raised the topsides 300mm. Sure there was lots of extra room but the boat didn't sail to windward and was unsafe in winds over 25 knots. There is huge intellectual work in balancing the competing aspects of design. If you aren't conscious of the design spiral you can wreck a good design easily.

My cat had some modifications I talked to the builder about. Watertight bulkheads fore and aft, wishbone boom and a 2.4 m long keelson on the bottoms. He liked the ideas and they fitted in with his design philosophy so I went with his design. I would have been unhappy with good designs from other designers I talked to. Their designs are good but just not for me. So keep searching if the designers don't like your ideas.

One Schionning builder I know wanted twin outboards on his large cat with walk through transoms. Schionning said it couldn't be done. The builder had altready built one boat so he worked out how to do it. In the end Schionning incorporated some of the ideas into his next designs.

cheers

Phil

3. saltifinch

saltifinch Junior Member

I suppose I should have closed this thread, since I decided to be more conservative, and build a 30 ft cat.

The F-41 is not a trimaran, its a cat, so not exactly sure what you're referring to. And I totally agree with you, not a lot of good reasons to go with a tri. Poor resale, smaller living room. Now, if we were talking a 70 foot tri, then maybe I might think differently haha.

I may just send my ideas to one of the designers, and see if the modifications can be made. I'd be using a different material, changing the location of the mast, bathrooms, bunks. But the shell would essentially be the same.

I know nothing about hull shape, rigging, stress loads, so buying plans should solve all that. I just hate only using a small portion of them. But maybe that will be alright if it turns out I like building boats. Make my own design.

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.