Gunboat 66 – the ultimate fast cruiser?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Mar 26, 2016.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I haven't watch this video in some time now, but it really is quite good. Even non-sailors should have a look.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdqXoIhg0dA

This vessel, or style of vessel, has to be one of the top contenders as world cruiser. Its a shame that they find themselves in financially difficulties at the moment.

2. brian eiland

I'm surprised there have not been many replies (none so far) to this subject. I posted it on several forums, and most had multiple replies.

A theme in some of the replies is that these vessels are not 'cruiser capable', but just for the racing crowd,...and certainly not appealing to the ladies.

I recently replied:

3. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

More is the pity that Gunboat decided, as I understand it, to sub out building some hulls and it backfired on them.

Though in light of that one humorous real life exchange between a boatyard and luxury cat owner (who owned a Porsche dealership and hardly charged that much to change spark plugs or do the valves, can't recall which it was) I do wonder about engine installations that are compact like the one shown.

4. brian eiland

Maybe he should consider having his Porsche mech work on that engine if he has those problems . I understand those Porsche engines can be a devil to get to :eek:

5. brian eiland

I think Gunboat experienced some building problems at its start-up location in South Africa, then looked at alternatives to supplement the building jobs.

Chinese cheap labor is always a draw, but he probably should have done his homework more thoroughly. There are many records of failed deals in China, including a number of the major auto companies.

6. brian eiland

Perhaps I should have changed the title of this subject thread to "An" Ultimate Cruiser rather than "The". After all there are many more.

7. brian eiland

Weekender/ Picnic style design, the 55 Gunboat

First off you should look more closely at the design concept of the 55 verses the other model Gunboats. it was designed to be an even more open cockpit/saloon than your normal catamaran,...that is there is a very minimalist top to the saloon area,...sort of a cover outdoor cockpit/saloon idea. I spoke about that in a few postings on some various forums, that were titled 'Picnic, Weekender style'.

Here is one:
    Weekender/Picnic PowerCat - Page 2 - Boat Design Forums

So you can see this structure is not really designed to go thru a beating like that boat must have experienced after a rouge wave, and then a winter and a spring of rough weather in Atlantic storms while being greatly overloaded (flooded) with water.

Attached Files:

8. Barra

Barra Junior Member

Brian, you obviously haven't been paying attention.

GB initially advertised the 55 as a high latitude cruiser.

Even now the advertising refers to it as a "circumnavigator", with complete protection with the "Moonroof" and "Windscreen" deployed.

Not sure how anyone can gush about a company that sold its products with shady statements regarding the capabilities of its products.

You obviously don't remember the advertised highly embellished daily run claims or speed claims that have been debunked over the years through race and rally results.

Its only the ultimate cruiser for those with enormous cash reserves and love employing crew to operate safely. Can't imagine much fun trying to anchor it in my favourite mangrove creeks.