first 100% solar boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Waterwitch, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Waterwitch

Waterwitch Senior Member

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

First to you maybe.

kerosene likes this.
  3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

BlueBell likes this.
  4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

So about 4 times the cost of a comparable vessel with a 9.9 high thrust Mercury. That leaves about $90,000 for fuel and engine maintenance. I assure you you can't push $90,000 worth of power through those batteries before they need replacing.

I like the overall proportion of engine power, battery storage, and solar capacity. I think they got that right for a production boat.

Of course, Elco has been in business for about 125 years building electric boats. Fun fact - the first outboard ever manufactured was an electric set up just like these Torqueedos and trolling motors. That's why they are called outboard motors and not outboard engines. Electric power has always come from motors.

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Please provide a link to a 24' displacement boat with cuddy, hardtop, and control console with 9.9 HP that I can buy new for $31,250......

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Phil, I am an old curmudgeonly guy. Thus, I appreciate your comment about the difference between "motor" and "engine". My father pounded that distinction into my head many many moons ago. The two terms, while improperly used, have become one. I reckon we techno types will have to live with it.

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Sun Tracker 22 - 11 Pax

[​IMG]
    upload_2022-5-1_13-53-39.png

kerosene likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.