GRP finish

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by andy_s, Jan 30, 2003.

1. andy_s

andy_s New Member

I am new to boat-building, and am considering building a small catamaran from GRP on a plywood core.

Whilst I have an understanding of laying GRP into a mold, I do not know how to get a smooth finish when building it up over plywood.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It takes a lot of sanding; just like preparing a plug to make a mold of. After you finish laminating, put fairing compound over the whole thing. Then you sand with longboards until it is fair and smooth. There are several methods, but all require lots of elbow grease.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Yup -- like gonzo says, lots of hard work and many many hours sanding. And then after that, some more sanding to get it perfect.

I've done lots of this myself. Recently though I've started to hear talk about the dangers of sanding fiberglass and even that forced air respirators are the only safe way to go. True? If so, I'm probably a gonner by now :D