a few questions

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ironmatar, Mar 6, 2008.

1. ironmatar

ironmatar Junior Member

really i have a lot of questions answerd around here by the many threads
    however iv come up against a couple of questions monohull/vs trimiran
    and single or multi masted [3] cutter rigging and capable of 120,000-130,000# cargo

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Any trimaran of that enormous size would require a budget that would build a far superior monohull. Out and out speed isn't average speed----- and the monohull is probably faster on average. Yet it would cost much less to build and own.
    As far as rigs go, a multi-mast rig is going to be more reliable and handy than a single mast rig, though a single mast would be faster, as it catches a faster wind.

Alan

3. ironmatar

ironmatar Junior Member

well i dident consider cost really as the materials would be the same either way.
    in this case the cargo space dictates to the base boat length and width somewhat 15x55x9 footprint for 2 truckloads<approx>cargo.
    the idea to use a tri came from the apathy i have for hanging some great mucking bub keel everyone is hanging on monohulls these days some 10-15' below the waterline just begging to be smashed/ripped off and or flat tangeld up in submerged junk

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

No worries regarding submerged objects if the ship is big enough to carry 130k lbs cargo. At first I thought you meant 13k-14k of cargo. But if the mono depth is to be 10-15 ft, then maybe you do mean 130k-140k.
    Confused.

5. ironmatar

ironmatar Junior Member

well base masters lic is 100T 200k steel boat 70-80 maby 90k /carrying cap 110-130k and a base waterline hull length 5-1 19x95' expected draft 9-13' 3 decks lower deck cargo deck and topdeck w aft pilothouse w cutter rigging.
    silica concrete wash coating for steel and doug fir decking /interior steyr monoblock desils and levi surface htdrive and 360 deg thrusters for and aft..
    a lot of people have do nothing boats that are unable to make their owners any return. big boats other than racers should be functional

i relly figured a monohull was best but after reading the latest about the idec wave pericing tri going circumnav in 57 days i thought id ask around here about it.

yes it hauls but id like it to haul as fast as reasonable possabale. id like to be able to get 12-15 knots out of it.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Others would know more than me. I would assume any boat carrying a reasonable cargo would be fastest as a monohull. Sailing, you wouldn't get a multi of any cargo-carrying capacity to take advantage of wave-piercing. All that hull skin, designed to go fast, would therefore just be more of a dog at displacement speeds.
    The 100 ft mono should approach 14 kts under optimum conditions, but under poor conditions like 5 kts breeze it will still move along nicely, leaving an equal displacement (and length) multi far behind.
    In a sailing cargo boat, minimum wetted surface is what you want, I would think.

Alan

7. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

A pair of vee bottom hulls in a catamaran config. will provide stability without ballast. Shallow draft too. Rig could be in one or both hulls.

8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

9. ironmatar

ironmatar Junior Member

i really prefer a single mast or 3 masts its a matter of numerology and the rightness of a thing
    given what iv been reading about aft mast rigs why tilt the mast at all brian why not use a forward mounted boom of desired length and rig it so it it holds the top spread the same distance apart at the desired point in relation to raking the entire mast forward and elimitaing rigging problems by tilting the entire mast?

10. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

ironmater,

If you would like clear and thoughtful answers to your questions, you really need to take time to state your ideas clearly so that they can be understood by others. I realize punctuation and capitalization are not cool, but the above posting is pure gibberish to me.

If you wish to be taken seriously please revise the above.

11. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

any significant cargo weight, and a monohull is better.

Multis are only good if they can be lightweight, or if you have some stability driven issue. If carrying capacity is a concern, multihull will be pathetically slow compared to a monohull.

12. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

13. ironmatar

ironmatar Junior Member

i had envisioned a longship hull shape with the keel doubleing as the weight instead of having a great long fin or pole with bulb on it and a big cutter staysail rigging on 3 masts w a aft pilothouse. The folding crane tucks away in a compartment just aft of the second mast and the main cargo hatch is between the foot of the pilothouse and the crane compartment on deck. i specfied a 5x1 boat at the waterline in order to get some better preformance out of it 19x95' and probably 27x135 overall <bowsprit/aft jib spar>
    but perhaps a diffrent hull shape might be better.

14. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

Tad,
    I didn't see that ballast elimination was the crux of the original post- did I miss it?

ironmatar,
    Much depends on the cargo. What do you envision the route and cargo to be? Definition of some basics is really important.

15. ironmatar

ironmatar Junior Member

cargo anything you want to load in it

route where ever you want to take it.

:]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.